Topic

watre resistant down – any real experience???

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
PostedAug 2, 2012 at 4:44 am

Anyone out there has any real world hands on experience with the new products? I saw all the videos and marketing blurb but anyone really tried to sleep in the rain with this?

Mike

PostedAug 2, 2012 at 7:52 am

It seems like it would ruin the feathers and decrease loft. Plus i have never got my down bag wet.

PostedAug 2, 2012 at 8:47 am

I can speak for down snowboard jackets. They do work. Although it's quite different to get stuck in a downpour with a down jacket and lay in the snow with one.

But they are rated highly waterproof and breathable. Some utilize a Gore-Tex shell like this guy:

http://www.burton.com/mens-jackets-2l-lz-down-jacket/253697,default,pd.html

I know there are sleeping bags with the same use of Goose down and Gore-Tex. I'd assume they stay pretty dry.

PostedAug 2, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I would also love to hear any first hand experiences from anyone using DriDown or Downtek. So far I am only seeing it used on 600 loft down in sleeping bags but 800 in jackets, I wonder why this is? I am also wondering if anyone plans on making a quilt with it and with what loft?

Tim Marshall BPL Member
PostedAug 2, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I know there will be quilts made with downtek. Probably by mid winter. The reason you don't see them yet is the down is processed overseas and requires orders too large for a cottage company. That is changing soon I believe.

-Tim

James holden BPL Member
PostedAug 2, 2012 at 8:11 pm

once you add the weight of the more water resistant shell, the question IMO, is will synth work just as well for a lower price for jackets anyways … who knows …. but synth is proven, durable, widely available, often on sale … and synth fills are always improving …

for bags it may make more sense simply due to the fact that often >60% of a bag weight is fill in high quality bags vs 30-50% in most down jackets …. so the weight savings will be greater

MEC makes a water resistant 800 fill down bag here

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/SleepingBags/DownMummyBags/PRD~5025-523/mec-merlin-df-sleeping-bag-3c.jsp

Lawson Kline BPL Member
PostedAug 3, 2012 at 9:51 am

Not to hate on DownTek and all the manufacturers using this stuff, but are they serious??? Down is Water Resistant when it comes off the birds. The down processors didn't need to invent some new nano technology.. All they needed to do was stop washing the down..

PostedAug 3, 2012 at 11:00 am

@lawson

i have personally never processed geese (or any other animals for that matter0 so im not sure…but i can assume that the washing is needed to sterilize the down and it would otherwise be non approved for consumer use (like milk straight from the udder isnt a mass market affair)

Im intrigued by this since we area ll always talking about down vs synth and in theory if down were to align or surpass the performance of synth in the "warm when wet" "weight when wet" and "dry time" categories then the battle would be won.
I just wonder in real life does the treatment make enough of a difference to take the next step….especially with drying time which is quite problematic with down

PostedAug 4, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I have the Marmot 15 sawtooth membrain bag. I have never put a hose to it but it is definitely repels water. It is slightly heavier than the bag with out the membrain.

I am very happy with this bag.

PostedAug 4, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Obviously water repellent fabrics are another issue.

I was more in to the possible premise of UL down bags that are water resistant due to the nano coating on the down

Mike

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedJul 21, 2013 at 9:44 am

Thought I would bump this.

I had a Brooks Range Mojave out on one trip but sent it back without getting a chance to test if the water restiant down worked.

PostedAug 28, 2013 at 8:46 pm

All of the water resistant down bags I've seen are Duck Down. I'm assuming that's getting used in lieu of Goose Down to keep the cost lower.
Does anyone know if the water resistant down jackets are Goose or Duck? Also I'm assuming that the treatment to the down affects the loft. The water resistant jackets I've seen seem thinner.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Loading...