Topic

very dark chocolate made a very big mess

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition very dark chocolate made a very big mess

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi everyone,

I was reading on here that the "safe" way to prevent chocolate from melting on the trail was to use something with high percentage cocoa solids (i.e., dark). I tried breaking up a bar of high quality 85% chocolate into little pieces as part of my gorp. It melted and made a mess.

Not sure where that leaves me. Do you guys/girls think that m&m's would be safer? Any other ideas?

thanks,

rhz

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

I always toss in some M&M's in my gorp. I especially like the almond M&M's.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I use Reese's Pieces.

–B.G.–

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I have had good luck with keeping chocolate from melting by keeping it insulated within the pack. I love Hershey's special Dark and have had it in many places. Occasionally it may soften but picking the right time to eat it can also help. Now if only I can keep Reese's cups from melting I would have an abundance of yummy calories.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I think if you're going to mix it into your gorp, M&Ms would be better. Should this happen again, immerse the gorp bag (tightly closed) in a stream to solidify the chocolate, then break into pieces. Chocolate coated gorp, or chocolate gorp bars!

I will be carrying my chocolate (Green and Black's Maya Gold) insulated in my FBC cozy inside my pack, because I will eat it only for dessert at night. Cut into 1 oz. pieces, separately wrapped. This will be a first time for me, to celebrate losing quite a bit of weight (as much as my 2-night pack weight). Not having been able to backpack yet this year (I just starting walking 20 minutes a day on soft ground after several months of nursing a nasty case of plantar fasciitis), I haven't been able to determine if I can resist eating the whole supply the first night (I never keep chocolate in the house for that reason).

Will Webster

@willweb

Keep your eye out for dark chocolate M&Ms – they aren't the greatest chocolate but they are by far the best emmies for summer gorp.

One of the joys of winter hiking is gorp made with dark chocolate covered coffee beans. Last spring my wife brought a bag of it on a dayhike a bit late in the season and it turned into a sticky glob; back home we put it in the 'fridge until solid, peeled of the bag, and broke it into chunks. Yummm…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools