Topic

30% OFF Plus free shipping Coupon Code for CampGear.com …Backcountry Tents, Osprey Backpacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 30% OFF Plus free shipping Coupon Code for CampGear.com …Backcountry Tents, Osprey Backpacks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    sean mccarthy

@vancanfan

Hey i was emailed a 30% off anything from CampGear.com coupon code and they have Free shipping going on right now. I just purchased an osprey daypack to hook up to my osprey aether 60 pack. Use Coupon Code: MCCARTHYFF30

Seems to work multiple times and works on everything on the site.

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

Why can't people just be honest? A quick look at the WHOIS database reveals that campgear.com is owned by Summit Sports in MI, and quick google search reveals that Sean McCarthy is a key contact at Summit Sports. Geez! Instead of masquerading as a customer, why not just tell us up front that you're affiliated with the site? By being dishonest, all you've done is guarantee that I, for one, won't be giving you any business.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

+1 on transparency

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

OP really dropped the ball there.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

No kidding. It can be a big can of worms doing public relations work in social media sites, but a good rule of thumb I think is know the community and act accordingly. It would have been easy enough, and legitimate, to introduce the site, announce a 30% off coupon good for ultralighters (coupon code: ULSUMMER2012) and invite people to the site. Geardeals can work that way. No reason to spam the site for legitimate gear opportunities, lots of vendors use this forum.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

For those willing to take their chances, they seem to carry Easton Kilo and Vaude tents.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

RE: "Why Can't People Just Be Honest"

It's a 'friends and family' 30% discount that even applies to sales items. I'll take it. Must be something I need. Thanks Sean!

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

uugghh, I wanted to order $19 in socks, and the shipping to Alaska was $30.

I guess it's probably my fault for living in a domestically owned foreign country.

Leo Shim

@devourcookies

Firs of all, I would like to laugh at my fellow co-worker as he obviously got caught.

Secondly, let me apologize for the deceit. Sorry, I had to laugh before apologizing for him.

Anyway, allow me to explain the situation. CampGear.com is a new site to our Summit Sport parent company. In celebration, all of the employees were given a special code to share via good ol word-of-mouth. These deals are not advertised whatsoever. Obviously, they have been blasted all over the Internet.

The thing is, we really aren't allowed to speak for the company and hence cannot be joining forums under the guise that we speak for CampGear.com.

However, I am the social media manager for this company so I can give you my sincere apologies.

I would love to participate as much as I can here and would blatantly like to share deals with you guys whenever we have em.

But I would like to say that I don't want this particular account to be attributed to CampGear. I want to speak freely here as myself. Maybe I'll create an "official" account and even pitch the idea to become a paid member to my higher ups.

And since I'm posting as a person rather than a company, I would like to low-ball Sean and encourage everyone to use MY code since I was honest.

Here it is:

Psych, I'm just kidding. :)

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I suspect that you don't want forum mods to know the commercial purpose of a post more than you intend to deceive a consumer. Honestly, I don't see how giving an additional 30% off of sale- and full-pried items. I made two orders yesterday. I really wanted the MH UL tent, but even though it's less than $300 after discount it's not iny budget. That said, I scored on trail runners, a long Ti spoon and a few other things. Love the free shipping too. With the coupon, you have some unbeatable deals going on for those intersted. Thanks – again. Keep the codes coming.

Leo Shim

@devourcookies

Thanks for the understanding.

Most of the time, other forums don't like companies posting their own deals because they want a share of the profits. That's why many of them have affiliate programs where companies can advertise through.

Then there's also the issue of them not wanting blatant spam. They want to try and get the best, reliable deals posted. Not some under-the-radar company no one know about peddling crap.

But it does bother me when some companies have genuinely good deals they want to share. Yes of course we want business, but this deal right now is honestly near cost.

The friends and family deal isn't meant to be a profit driver. The purpose is to get our new site out there. Hopefully people who use the discount have a smooth transaction and shop with us again and spread the word.

Thanks again!

Maybe I'll create another thread to highlight some good deals to be had with the discount.

david beveridge

@beforegtex

Leo,
    On 8/2 you said:
    Secondly, let me apologize for the deceit.
    But after this, on 8/3, I see on backpacker "cookiemonster", trying to sound like a member of the community, posted a campgear link and the comments "just came across this great deal on retailmenot"….I'm trying to score a hydration pack. Any suggestions"…
    If this is you (cookiemonster on BPer/your pic on BPL) why not be honest? Or is this the fault of another employee?
    I thought about taking advantage of the deal but this makes me wonder about your business ethics.

Michael Moore

@lilricky

Seems slimey and underhanded to me, wonder what other ethical practices this company and its parent seem to ignore.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools