Topic

MYOG Quilt – nanoseeum question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Quilt – nanoseeum question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thru-hiker M50 down quilt kit. My design is done and fabric is cut. One question before I take the next step. Thanks, Amy

baffles-3

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

I've made two thru-hiker quilts using the non-folded seam on the left. I can't say I've had enough experience in the field to know whether there is a risk of ravelling/blowout (hasn't yet).

We sewed some scrap together with a 1/2 inch allowance, untrimmed. No issues when we tugged and pulled. And honestly, this isn't a garment that gets a lot of wear and tear. We were more concerned about the stitch quality/tension. These are dissimilar materials.

It's obviously less work than folding, but if you don't mind a lot of ironing or careful handwork, it would help eliminate that nagging feeling you could've done more…

BTW, I used the edge of 1" blue masking tape to mark the baffle seam lines. It made it very easy to see the nanoseeum against the black liner. This was for a 12/5 karo step:

Karo Quilt

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

Nanoseeum is a knitted fabric so it will not fray like a woven fabric. No need to fold and stitch. If you were using a woven fabric like 8D or M50 then either hot cut the fabric to seal the edges against fraying or fold and stitch.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks Mark and Nathan. Paul at Thru-Hiker also confirmed that he does not hem baffles.

Fabric cut. M50 edges seared. Baffles cut. Sewing Machine repair shop called to tell me that the cleaning and tune-up is complete (first service in 30 years). This evening Jim and I will go to his office where there is a table large enough to spread the project flat and tape the baffles in place, and tomorrow I start sewing. I'm excited.

Amy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools