Topic

Anton Krupicka and Kilian Jornet run up Grand Teton summit.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Anton Krupicka and Kilian Jornet run up Grand Teton summit.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

There really needs to be a sub-forum for ultramarathon, FKT, speed ascents/traverses, fastpacking, etc…….. yeah?

Anyways….

I saw this on the web, thought it was a pretty awesome photograph that captures self sufficient mountain travel at it's purest.

kilian

Anton Krupicka and Kilian Jornet running up Grand Teton summit today (7/31/2012) in 3hr.23min. including some photography and video shooting time.

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

Agreed. A sub-forum is probably warranted at this point.

Also, have you seen Anton's Longs Peaks photos? His new style of "running" is in a class of its own. With SUL pack he could haul some serious ass on the JMT.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

yes, nothing like a nice quiet run in the mountains to wash away the controversy of last weekend.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I think the thing I like the most is the fact that there couldn't have been endless debate over gear, there was virtually none. That photo screams freedom.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

How about that Speedgoat hoopla eh?

Seeing Kilian and Anton running together in the mountains, completely unaffected by the way things panned out last weekend is just plain awesome. I have a feeling the fanboys on the interwebs care more about the decision at Speedgoat than Kilian or his counterparts do.

@Brandon

I have checked out Anton's recent outings. He is tapping into a long line of speed ascent history in the US, especially in CO- Buzz Burrell was doing it long before Anton. Joe Gray (Alpine Works) is another one to check out. The off piste vertical style of running is nothing new in Europe, where they excel.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

This photograph absolutely screams freedom. Both of them are unhinged from the typical physical limitations that the average Joe possesses- where we require gear to sustain our outing, these guys rely on physical sufficiency and locomotive efficiency through the mountains. They're constantly pushing that line, the threshold of comfort and safety. Is it foolish and wreckless?

Maybe.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

as long as one understands and respects their personal capabilities and limits relative to the environment they travel in its not foolish.

I carry more than those guys when I walk my dog around the block.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Art,

I go to bed with more on me than they do. ;-)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

+1 on a ultra/trail running/FKT/etc forum

I'm too much of a boy scout to head into the mountains w/ just a pair of shorts and shoes, it doesn't help that I'm slow to boot :)

Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

'There really needs to be a sub-forum for ultramarathon, FKT, speed ascents/traverses, fastpacking, etc…….. yeah?'

Yup. You got it nailed Eugene. IMO, an important and extremely relevant potential thread that deserves BPL's attention.

To add to Mr Jornet's incredible feats, a ridiculous speed traverse of Mont Blanc from Courmeyer to Cham this Sept., if you hadn't already geeked out on his quickness:

Kilian Jornet/Mt Blanc speed traverse

Gnarly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools