Topic

SUL in a hammock… Lil’ help?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion SUL in a hammock… Lil’ help?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Do you have any insulation for under you in the hammock? If not, then you will get very cold if temps are low at all.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Yeah my weights will flux as I figure out the exact length cordage I need. I'll bring some extra 1mm guy line for pitching on a slope as well.

For insulation I have a 3/8th in foam pad in my list. i am not sure what it is made of, it's light density, but I am confident it will take me down to 40F as people on Hammock Forums use other 1/4in foam down to 40F it seems.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I see now. I missed one first glance. Looks good!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Good looking list, imo. Glad you found an acceptable suspension method. My camera did not want to cooperate last night and I wound up with about 4 dozen useless blurry pictures. Bah.

Dustin,
    Would you be willing to post a pic of that descending ring rig? I tried a couple variations using rings but yours sounds new to me.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Bryce – nice job putting it together. I think you'll be pretty comfortable and can't wait to hear feedback from the trip.

I also have a GT Nano 7 hammock but I've dropped it (with whoopie slings, a 6' and 8' foot strap) into my Daypack for fun. I've moved on to a BIAS Weight Weenie…Check it out when you get back.

Safe trip and happy hanging!

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Please get yourself a set of Whoopie slings, tree straps, and toggles (under $20 from Arrowhead Equipment)
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2575039#
    and end this ridiculousness.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

….I'd be heavier.

The only way I'll get tree straps is if the hassle of putting sticks in between the trees and Amsteel does not work to protect the tree or is too much of a PIA.

I didn't get to SUL by end this "ridiculous." ;)

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

SUL is ridiculousness, as someone knowledgeable like Andrew Skurka will tell you.

How much does a Whoopie sling weigh? 1 ounce?
    Whoopie slings are extremely light, extremely easy to use, and very adjustable.

The tree straps in the system weigh a lot more. That is where weight could be reduced. Find some lightweight webbing.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

…slightly irritating. Conversely everyone else on the thread has been great with suggestions and ideas on how to go lighter with a hammock with the pros-and cons (much appreciated!).

I've been SUL for awhile now and had no trouble on the trail for me personally and the types of trips I like to take.

In the end this is the SUL sub-forum, please (try to) push your opinions on what is ridiculous somewhere else. Thx!

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

….Are there other benefits to having my tarp tie off around the trees on its own as opposed to tying it off to the tree strapping? The latter would use less guy wire and thus less weight.

I realize providing the tarp with enough guy line to tie off around the tree by itself give you the ability to allow more ventilation with a high pitch or pitch it low to hunker down during a storm, but am I missing anything else?

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

the tree straps are not "tight" on the tree, so you will not have as taught a tarp line as you may desire.

this is where Dutch's various clips come in handy.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

The straps would be tight under load (when I a in the hammock) but not tight when I am walking around camp. Is this what you are saying? If so… thus your tarp would be flopping around a bit, correct?

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

more or less yes. you could go with a ridgeline whoopie that you can easily adjust in the hammock so that with your body weight it is taught.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Bryce,

I've tried tying my tarp off to the tree hugger strap but as mentioned it was really hard to adjust. I'd be afraid of one of two things happening:

– That when you're in the hammock the tarp becomes a limp rag hanging in your face

– Or if you're clever enough to find a way that it doesn't loosen when you lay in your hammock you might cause unnecessary stress on your cuben tarp and tear it

For the tarp you can use really light line to go around the tree. That will give you, as you mentioned, the easy ability to hang your tarp high in good weather or to slide it well below where your hammock goes around the tree in lousy weather.

Have a great trip and we look forward to a trip report!

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

yeah, I called a hammock buddy, and he advised against it as well. The farther the span in between the trees, the higher up the trees straps have to go to get the 30deg sag in the hammock. If you pitch your tarp off those straps it could end up being hella high….which is fine for ventilation, but if a stor, comes, ut oh! Thx.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

zing-it it is light and more than strong enough for a tarp, you may even be able to find another line that is lighter and strong enough.
    add in a couple Dutch hooks of your choice and you have a quick, easy, and lightweight way to tie off your tarp.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Bryce, share your gearlist when you get it finished.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

6.2oz or 176g for the Grand Trunk Nano-7 hammock & 23 total feet of Amsteel-blue 7/64s for suspension w/ knots. Storage pouch cut off hammock.

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

You could order very short, therefore very light, tree straps now and have them for the trip after this one. I'm using polypro straps that stretch more than polyester, but they are lighter. Mine were an UL request from what is now Dream Hammocks run by Papa Smurf. Ask about the UL version at any of the hammock gear manufacturers. If you walk a lot of miles, your body weight might be low enough that they can sell you the lighter version of their hanging gear. If not high mileage, then your pack weight is not so important.

You could order Dynaglide now to have it on your hammock for the trip after this one.

You could order Dynaglide Whoopie slings which will be the lightest, adjustable suspension. Your Amsteel is for UL, not SUL hangers.

Bringing three ounces less food and tree straps would maintain the same carry weight as your current strapless outfit. Is there some problem with having 5.0 pounds of gear and three ounces of tree straps this weekend?

How many other trips have you done with your hammock?

Did you get to SUL with your first set of gear, or did you get lighter over a period of time as you changed your gear? The path to SUL hammock hanging could also be done in increments.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

I hope to make some further weight saving tweaks after this trip, but I only put this list together this week so I had to make do with what I already owned and what was available locally (amsteel).

Hopefully dynaglide is for the next trip. And hopefully I don't need whoopie slings or straps if all works out, but if I do, thanks for the tip.

"Is there some problem with having 5.0 pounds of gear and three ounces of tree straps this weekend?" <- No, I guess? I don't think I said there was, but I'd rather eat food than tree straps if you made me choose. :p

No other trips with the hammock. I'll be with a guy who hammocks all the time and with others plus the ability to go to the ground in a shelter if need be.

"Did you get to SUL with your first set of gear, or did you get lighter over a period of time as you changed your gear? The path to SUL hammock hanging could also be done in increments." <- Nope, spent a lot of coin first searching for light but bang for buck items and have slowly migrated to "just get pay and get the lightest because it drives you nuts." :p So in the case of the hammock, other than the amsteel stop gap for this weekend, I'm not looking to "progress" as much as possible. But yes, the path to SUL can done slowly if someone wanted to just like their ground game. In my case I think I can do it w/ amsteel, and now.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

@ John Shannon, here is the gear list again: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=8944

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Thanks for sharing Bryce.

John Giesemann
    BPL Member

@johngiesemann

Just saw this video on another thread. It shows different methods for hanging a hammock that would be useful for those like me that need to see it. Thought these methods looked very easy and useful for other situations, too. Check out this video.

YouTube video

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools