Topic

Exped Synmat UL problems

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exped Synmat UL problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Rachel G
    BPL Member

@cookiemcq

So I got the Exped Synmat UL M when REI had the sale on them. I also got the pillow pump for it. I finally got to use them for the first time last Monday. They were great, I loved them both and I slept like a rock.
    But then I went on another trip this weekend. I blew up the pad, went to bed, and within 10 minutes it was completely deflated. I checked all the valves, and then blew it up again. This time I listened carefully and I could hear it deflating near the bottom of the pad.

I didn't want to mess around trying to find the hole and patch it, so I just slept on my Z-lite which I had under the synmat both nights. When I got back to town I went right back to REI to exchange the pad for another one.

So after only one night it didn't hold air. I babied this pad. Has anyone else had a problem with these pads? I did notice there were quite a few at the last scratch and dent sale that claimed they no longer held air. Should I give it another go? Or return this one and start looking for a different pad altogether?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I've had mine out probably half a dozen times with no issues so far.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Hmmm. I usually inflate a new pad and let it sit for a few days with some books on it (I have lots of those!) to make sure that it holds air. Exped has a good reputation, and REI has great return policy. It's really up to you whether or not you'd trust another one in the field. Reasonable confidence in your gear goes a long way on a trip. For me, after that test, I felt comfortable taking my pad into the backcountry.

Oh–and full disclosure, I have a NeoAir. (It's been mostly good to me so far.)

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I recently bought two Synmat UL pads for my wife and I and I've had a couple similar experiences. I'd used one several times and loved it, and then we were on a trip and my wife's ended up flat. I inflated both at home one morning and left them for a couple days and both stayed fully inflated (noting which one had flattened before). I set it aside to return it to REI, thinking it stayed inflated because it didn't have any weight on it, and went on a solo trip a couple weeks later (with what I thought was the other one) and ended up with a flat pad. Last weekend we took both, so I could make sure which one was faulty, and they both performed flawlessly. I think the key is making sure both inner valve flaps don't have any folds or kinks and that the plugs are secure. That's the only thing I can think of. I hope I can get them consistently working because with the Schnozzle pump they're a joy to use and sleep on.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

No problems at all here after 8 or more nights.

"I think the key is making sure both inner valve flaps don't have any folds or kinks and that the plugs are secure."

Exactly. I've heard that sometimes a bit of plastic, sand, ice, or debris will prevent the valve or plug from sealing completely, resulting in an unpredictable and slow leak.

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

No problems yet, probably 7 nights. For me, the most comfortable mat ever.

Rachel G
    BPL Member

@cookiemcq

Wow thanks, I wish I had known that before I returned it for a new one. Ill keep it now and hope that was the only issue and not an actual leak/hole.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Sorry to bear about tht, at least you had a slits with you, I alway carry at least half a zlite or Solite with me for the same reason.

I have used my Symantec for at least 15 nights an no issues with it.

Get REI to replace it and keep it inflated at home for a week and see how it goes.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

So you slept on your Symantec for 15 nights did you, Stephen? :-) That's too funny.

I've taken to carrying a 1/8" thick pad to place underneath my SynMat UL7 for two reasons – added warmth below 35F, and protection against sharp pointy things on the ground. One of my dogs did a number on the pad when he got trapped under the bed where it was stored. His nails tore a 3"x3" L shaped section, and created a 10" long scratch that was not deep enough to create an outright tear, but still allowed air to seep through. Both were on the 'tougher' underside. Tenacious tape is holding it together for now, but I'll have to send it back to Exped for repair later this year.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I was going to replace my mat with a Semantic one but in the end it was neither here nor there.
    Franco

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I had to laugh when I saw that.

Would It be classed as multi use gear ;-)

"Symantec protecting your pc and your bad back"

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Your iPad autocorrect will allow you to make mistakes much faster than you ever could without it.

–B.G.–

Derek Kind
    BPL Member

@berethorn

For what it's worth, I've used mine for about 6 nights without any problems, and it's a very comfortable pad – I love the way the larger outer baffles help keep me from falling off either side. I bought mine on ebay, and it had already been patched, which I didn't mind because I figured it saved me some work, but evidently there had been a leak.

My sister had this pad and it did NOT work for her. I don't know the details but it obviously didn't hold air.

With the yellow Synmat it's a clear case of YMMV.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I've used mine for at least 25 nights going back to last season and have had no problems, EXCEPT on this last trip when I initially couldn't get the schnozzel to pump air. It turned out to be the little flap on the inside of the "gonfler" (love saying that)valve–the inflate valve. I gave it a poke and everything was fine. Maybe this flap, which is on both the gonfler and degonfler valves, can cause leakage problems if it isn't positioned right; or maybe the valve cap isn't snapping closed tight. I personally way prefer this valve design to the old Exped twisty valve, which gave me a variety of problems. Much easier to use and no leak issues for me.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Same as Jeffery – no problems, except one evening the schnozzle pump bag was really difficult to use. Discovered on side of the intake flap had slipped to the outside. Slipped it back, all difficulties done.

Still the best pad I've used.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

I used mine basically every day for the last month with no problems…..base
    camping and backpacking with no problems.

Craig Rowland
    BPL Member

@craigr

Locale: Pacific NW

I bought one to replace my Big Agnes insulated air core for the weight savings. I have used it about 10 nights so far. It works fine but the material feels much less durable to me than the Big Agnes so I am being even more careful about debris on the mat and inside the tent. I just used it camping on snow this past week and it was OK, but a little chilly when side sleeping as it compressed compared to the Big Agnes.

On snow I'd take a closed cell as added warmth and backup in case the main pad has problems. The valves on mine have been working fine and no debris clogging issues, but I can see how it could be a problem if something got caught in them. Overall I am happy with the pad and comfort.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools