Topic

Waterproof pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Waterproof pants?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jacob Wallace

@jacobw

Hi all,

I'm going with my other half for a 6 months trek and travel adventure in South America…not long now, we leave in around 5 weeks. Going from Cuba to Patagonia, and many places in between.

I almost always take waterproof trousers with me when trekking (unless going somewhere bone-dry), and have used and appreciated them a few times.

However, I seem to have lost mine pair somewhere, and have some quick drying hiking pants.

I note Danny Milks and Kristen Tennessen didn't list WP trousers on their gear list for a similar trip.

So what do you think guys…necessary?

Jacob

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Just my two cents worth.

I always carry waterproof trousers wherever I backpack, there is nothing worse than having wet legs all day.

I know some folk on here advocate using rain skirts and chaps.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I couldn't care less if my legs are wet when hiking but if I'm not going to be in the hottest summer heat I always take my rain pants. It's a fairly low weight penalty for the amount of warmth they can add, especially when it gets cold and windy.

If you're planning on using them all day in wet weather, I think a 3-layer material is best, since in my experience the 2.5 stuff sticks to your legs unpleasantly when they are soaked through.

I have been using the Marmot Precip pants which have been acceptable for the past few years but I'm eying the 3-layer eVent REI Kimtah pants ever since my hiking buddy brought his in an all-day downpour.

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

I'm looking at a similar decision (we're hiking around Peru's Cordillera Blanca this October).

The question I face is do I:
    1. Rely on whatever DWR is present on my REI Endeavor hiking pants,
    2. Carry my old pair of 23.6 oz rain pants, or
    3. Purchase some Torrentshell pants at 9.6 oz.

If I was going to be running around Patagonia I'd definitely have something more sturdy along, but I think for the Andes it's mostly afternoon downpours.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have two pairs of waterproof trousers I use.

Most of the year I use an 11oz pair of Rab Bergens with 3/4 side zips, they are a small bit heavier than what I would like but the side zips make them easy to take to get on and off and to ventilate, if I am using Crampons I use a pair of Montane spectra trousers which have full side zips and braces and crampon patches, they corm in about 18oz.

I did try on some trousers with 1/4 and 1/2 side zips but with size 13 feets they are very awkward.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools