Topic

How do you inflate your air mattess?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How do you inflate your air mattess?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

A while ago we got some Neoair short air mattresses, pretty cheap on a clearance because I think the model was discontinued. Our next trip is in late Sep. Anyway, I tried blowing it up myself and it took a LOT of blowing. There must be a better way!

I tried using a silnylon stuff sack. I waved it around to fill it with air, then stuck the Neoair valve in the open end, sealed the fabric around the valve with my hand, then squeezed the sack. This worked, but too slowly for my taste.

What might work better? A larger stuff sack? An inflation bag like those used for Alpacka rafts? I'd like to make make my own.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Dan Smith

@dcsmith

camp-tek microburst. Works like a charm.

Dan

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I just blow about 12 breaths into my, original, short NA. I also believe there is some leakage around the valve when you are doing this if the valve is unscrewed too far, maybe, be sure to not unscrew it a whole lot. A couple twists or so. I've had mine since April when they first came out, one of the firsts.
    Duane

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Peter Fokkinga
    Spectator

@nitto

Locale: the Netherlands

> camp-tek microburst

That is a nifty device! Too bad it won't work on my Exped mat (and it would have been nice if they were available in Europe too).

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

My vote goes with the rest for the microburst. I have a NeoAir large and I don't think I would carry it if I didn't have the microburst. A luxury to be sure

ROB WHELAN

@threepoint

My girlfriend uses an Exped Mini Pump with her Synmat – cute little thing (my GF too :))

50gms (1.8ounces), takes up no space…… multiuse if you have a pet hamster that needs some ground insulation……

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I use this . I also use it to fan wood fires. My pad is by POE.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I have an Instaflator that I enjoy. Once I cut off the other valves and cut the plastic bag in half, it weighs just a hair over 1 oz. It takes about five rounds to blow up my XLite Regular. The plus is that the extra piece of plastic bag should be able to replace the current one if it fails. The valve system is surprisingly simple but effective.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

by mouth , however
    Here is my video clip on using the Instaflator in real time, one take (no best of) outside and inside a tent :
    Instaflator
    (I did chop a couple of feet off the original size )and recover

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

A side note about the Instaflator… It is no longer sold online and when I called Leslies Pool Supplies to ask where else I could find it they told me it was only available at a Leslies Store (there are none in my state). This was months ago.

It was quite a bummer considering I had ordered and received one that had melted walls rendering it defective, and then when I asked for a replacement I was told I could no longer order it from the internet. For now I just blow my Xlite pad up by mouth, although I still cringe when I see all of the moisture inside my pad.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Still available on Ebay

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Tim,3rd link in my post above is to the ebay site to purchase them

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Ebay… ah yes. Thanks. When I talked to the rep on the phone he had told me they were only moving an average of 2 per month.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Just use your lungs, i have a neo air trekker and it takes maybe 2 minutes. I dont even have to think about it either its just a habbit.

Best of all it uber- light no fancy air pumps.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

I inadvertently weighed by NeoAir after a recent 6 day trip (unknowingly set it on the scale used to track uneaten food) and it weighed almost 3/4 of an ounce more than my spreadsheet says it used to. LoL.

I'm almost surprised it doesn't slosh.

I guess it's time to look at a better way.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I use a 13 gallon kitchen trash bag; the kind with the built in tie. Cheap and light and easily replaceable. The tie really helps keep the mouth open for catching a bag full of air. I place a small like 2" x 2" piece of duct-tape in a corner of the bottom and cut an opening to fit snugly over the valve.

There are a couple of options for filling: Attach the bag to the pad with a slim velcro strip and wave the whole rig around to "catch" a bag of air or fill the bag, pop the hole over the valve and squeeze it in. I like the last method. You don't lose enough from the valve hole to really make a difference.

Actually pretty easy. I just filled my neo short with 4 bags Sunday & Monday night camping in the Smokies.

The average pair of lungs fills with @1.5 gallons of air. As Johnnie Woolard said "You do the math"

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

I just use a trash compactor bag that I keep my sleeping bag in, with one of those add on valve deals from thermarest. Multiple use. ,

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal
    Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Garbage bag with small hole in bottom corner, held onto valve with rubber band. Takes only 2-3 bags full for my Kooka Bay mummy style (3.5" thick, but I don't blow it up that far; I keep it really squishy). I also use the garbage bag to cover my dog's pack at night (multiple use, of course).

The Exped inflator bag sold with the UL7Downmat (or sold separately) sounds like a good idea, especially if also used as a pack liner. I tried the BA Pumphouse but it is (1) too small–takes half a dozen or more fills to get enough air in, even with a squishy pad, (2) not suitable as a dry bag for sleeping bag storage because water leaks right through the fabric, (3) a failure as an inflatable pillow (flat in about 15 minutes).

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Someone here used the Micro Tek on their Exped by using it in the release valve hole. I wish I could remember. : )

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Yea i just suck it up and use my lungs (pardon the pun) . I have a short so it takes less than a minute. even camped on mt whitney at almost 15k' it wasn't hard.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools