Topic

Food Weight?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Food Weight?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tony Fischer
    Spectator

@adfischer

Trying to estimate total gear weight for Philmont. What would you all estimate is the average weight each person carries per day of food?

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

Averages about two pounds per person per day. Eat the heavy stuff first.

Most treks have added food pickups so that you'll rarely have more than three days of food to pick up at a time.

Daniel Lee
    BPL Member

@scoutbuff

Locale: Colorado

Tony-
    Our crew usually had about 2.5 pounds of food per day and another 2.5 pounds of crew gear…

Tony Fischer
    Spectator

@adfischer

Thanks guys, so it sounds like I should expect to carry up to 7.5 lbs of food (2.5 lbs x 3 days).

Working on the troop with lightening the group gear. Some of it is pretty heavy and I think we could lighten up but as you all know changing the way its always been done is sometimes hard!

So far I have my personal gear down to 17 lbs. Going to try to make it to 15 but going with a solo tent doesn't help (I'll miss my hammock!)

So far I see myself with a max weight of:

Personal Gear 17.0
    Troop Gear 2.5
    Food 7.5
    Water (3L) 6.6

Total (MAX) 33.6

Last time I was there I am sure I was at least 50 lbs so that is some progress. Not sure I can get too much lighter than this without spending a lot of money for just a couple of lbs.

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

You'll know your trek a few months before hitting the trail, but if you're doing worst-case planning, include 5 days of food. As mentioned, MOST of the your food pickups are set three or less days apart, but there are a few treks that include a one 4-day pickup and a couple that even go to five days for one pickup. Of the three crews I've got on the trail now, two of them have one 4-day pickup, none have 5 days.

david richardson
    BPL Member

@drichi

Locale: midwest

I dumped my solo tent at 3 lbs for a z-packs solo plus hexamid tent and ground sheet at 17 ozs and never regretted it for a moment this summer at Philmont. dave

Daniel Lee
    BPL Member

@scoutbuff

Locale: Colorado

Tony-
    Just my two cents and perspectives but I entered a bunch of our lessons learned on gear, itineraries, food, etc. on this site dated July 10 under "PHILMONT LESSONS"… Hope this helps your crew…
    -Dan

bill berklich
    Spectator

@berklich

Locale: Northern Mid-West

Be sure to look closely at your Trek. We stepped off on Trek 20 with 5 days of food at about a Kilo per person per day (2.25lbs). That pushed my pack to 32lbs – my planning weight was 28lbs (3 days @ 2lbs/day)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools