Topic

Bluffworks Pants (replace BPL Thorofare?) kickstarted

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Bluffworks Pants (replace BPL Thorofare?) kickstarted

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    . .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

I am keen on versatile pants that can be used for work, play, travel, etc. and hold up sans funk while still being presentable. These caught my eye on Kickstarter: Bluff Works Pants.

The campaign is now over and was successful. Here is their website where they will presumably be making them available to the general public: bluffworks.co (link)

Did anyone else support Stefan on this project? I exchanged a pair of emails with him and was impressed with him as a person, which made me glad to be supporting his project. Props to Devin Montgomery for introducing me to Kickstarter through his Backcountry Boiler, which most of you are familiar with by now.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Any idea what they're made of? I'd love to see a wool hybrid. They look a lot like Ex Officio pants and I'm hoping the fabric is a little more dynamic.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Per Stefan on Kickstarter:

"The pants are made from 100% polyester – like a lot of the performance apparel designed for sports and outdoor activities. They achieve their wrinkle resistance from the way the polyester is woven, and have a stain-release treatment applied."

A wool-blend would be nice and I actually mentioned in the survey that he sent out.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

These remind me of the Outlier 4season OG pant, but considerably more affordable. Same concept, different material.

The tailored fitting Outlier OG's use a Schoeller material to achieve this end.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

I'm very bummed I missed this project! I'd love these, in every color, provided they work as advertized. I wonder how long the anti-stain treatment holds for =/

*edit. Any other recommendations that aren't like $180?

Chris Wright
    Spectator

@chriswrightcycles

Am I the only one that thinks the $188 price tag on Outlier pants is a bargain? I'm surprised they are not spoken of with reverence on this forum (they certainly should be). I look forward to the Bluffworks line and the possibility of similar companies/products springing up in the future.

Best of luck!
    -Chris

Stefan Loble

@stefanloble

Fellas,

This is Stefan from Bluff and I just wanted to update you that the pants are now available for purchase on http://www.bluffworks.co.

I think they're great, but will leave that for others to comment on further…

Send me a note if I can help!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hi Stefan,

I picked up a pair of your pants a couple months ago and so far so good! Quick delivery too…I think mine arrived in a week or 2. My only recommendation would be to consider adding some DWR coating to make them a bit more water resistant. Keep up the great work!

Stefan Loble

@stefanloble

Thanks for the suggestion, Konrad. I saw your other great review too!

I have tested one coating that is environmentally friendly and non-harmful but had breathability issues. I'll keep searching.

Thanks again! Would love to see some pics of them in action for you.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I don't know what sort of pants you normally buy that $190 a pop could be considered a bargain. An investment, certainly, but not a bargain.

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

Hi Stefan,
    Looks I also missed out on the kickstarter. Congrats on your successful project. I am true believe in a pants that does it all.
    I really i could have funded your project. I was wondering if you had discount if I decide to get myself 2 or 3 pairs of pants? Thanks!
    Noel

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

Locale: Austin, TX

I would (and nearly have) paid $190 for a pair of jeans, but certainly not slacks, but only if the jeans were made in the US from specific fabric (selvage denim) that will last 5 years of 3-5x a week wear while literally never getting washed. But that's just me and other denim aficionados. That said it's no more expensive than having 4 pairs of $50 jeans you wear (and wear out) over the course of 5 years.

Anyhow, in topic…. Those Bluffworks pants look pretty interesting. Considering I searched high and low for a tailored looking outdoor pant and one without the adornment of tons of pockets, it seems pretty feasible. I wonder how heavy they are, and if they soak up water and get even heavier….

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I shoot for less than $50 for pants to hike in. Where is the posted weight of these pants in size medium? It won't match the weight of the thorofare and better hiking pants are already out there. Probable weight is 10 – 16 oz per pair.

Stefan Loble

@stefanloble

Hi Noel,

My pleasure. Send me a note at: [email protected] and I'd be happy to make you a coupon.

Stefan Loble

@stefanloble

Alec: I posted a pic montage on facebook showing an example of their drying performance. I've received lots of great feedback to that regard. fb.me/bluffworks

John: Yes, a 32 x 32 are 12.8 oz. They are amazing for day hikes or when unexpected adventure strikes, but would agree they may not be your long haul ultra lightweights. The upside is they look good off-trail, if or when that ever matters to you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools