Topic

Best 5 day hike…small emphasis on fishing…within 5 hours of Denver

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Best 5 day hike…small emphasis on fishing…within 5 hours of Denver

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Trey Williams

@pararesc1

Hey Gang,

First of all, any help would be greatly appreciated. Veteran/moderate hiking skill/reasonable fitness….exploring option for 5 day hike with some fishing available, heavy emphasis on reasonable terrain(no climbing–previous injury), aesthetics and vistas, trails only as I'll be solo, perhaps small amounts of low risk bushwacking.

Love San Juans, but too far from Denver, can I get somewhere within reasonable radius of Denver and challenge what I'd experience near Durango?

Thanks in Advance!

Also, what should I limit carry weight to for prospective adventure as described?

Is it safe to bring small dog? Yorkshire/Poodle mix.. 5lbs…

Justin Baccary

@justin-baccary

How many miles are you thinking? One person's 5 day trip is 125+ miles, another person's is a quarter of that.

Trey Williams

@pararesc1

20-40

Thanks for reply!

Justin Baccary

@justin-baccary

I'd look into the Indian Peaks Wilderness, which is only about one hour from Denver. Permits are required in the summer. The James Peak Wilderness is just south of IPW and does not require permits in the summer. I'm not sure about the fishing.

Mags has a good write-up on a loop in the IPW here:
    http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-loops-%E2%80%93-mags-favorites#Pawnee-Buchanan-Passes

There is also the Four Pass Loop, which is near Aspen (about 3.5 hours from Denver). It's something like 26 miles, loops around the Maroon Bells, and crosses four high passes.

This should get you started…

Trey Williams

@pararesc1

Indian Peaks sounds great…I'll check out the permit. Loop near Aspen looks pretty cool too. Thanks again for feedback!

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I would leave the dog at home.

Trey Williams

@pararesc1

Thanks for feedback…

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

+1 on leaving the dog at home. The loop is pretty serious terrain for such a small animal. And within the wilderness area, you'd have to keep it on leash. I love hiking with my 70 lb dog, but in IPW he's a liability. I take these trips to relax, but keeping him on a 6 ft leash means I spend more time watching the trail than appreciating my surroundings.

andrew brown

@abrown3mtg

Locale: High Rockies

Goose creek trail has an option to do a loop. Good fishing, lots to do, incredible scenery. A little over 20 miles. Close to denver too

We brought our 6 lb Italian Greyhound. She did fabulously. (But actually comes for every trip and never had a problem).

Heather Hohnholz
    BPL Member

@hawke

I second this. Getting to the trailhead is interesting, but doable in just about any vehicle. I had a great time in the area, gorgeous. Just be aware that due to the drought, water levels are pretty low and the "regular" water sources may not be there. Lost Creek was still going pretty well, but a lot of the tributaries were dried up/trickling when I went the end of June.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools