Topic

Yosemite – In at Parker Pass / Out at Tuolumne: suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Yosemite – In at Parker Pass / Out at Tuolumne: suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong
    BPL Member

@jonfong57

Locale: www.flatcatgear.com

I just made last minute reservations to hike out of Parker Pass and return through Tuolumne: has anyone been there this year? Does anyone have any reports on water availability, mosquitos or fire restrictions? I really haven’t defined the trip yet and I am open to suggestions (5 day/4 night trip). Best regards – Jon

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

The trip is doable and has been on my list to do. I have looked at maps and it looks to be an interesting trip due to the scenery. Parker Pass is quite stark. I am under the impression that you would be returning via Donahue and back to Tuolumne Meadows? I would not worry about mosquitoes due to the early hatch this year. Have fun and post pics and a trip report, I am interested to see how it was

Tyler Fisher

@qtrlbrwchs

Locale: northern california

I just did this trip earlier this week, Tuesday and Wednesday. Parker and koip peak passes were really beautiful and extremely windy in the afternoon. Water was plentiful the entire trip. I camped near the alger lakes. If you wanted to add some time I would check out the lakes south of gem and Waugh. And also there are some nice places to camp at Marie lakes. The only mosquitoes I encountered were between Gem and Waugh lakes but they weren't bad at all. Also it was easy catching a ride back to mono th, if you were concerned about that at all.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

You might be interested to visit the B24 crash site from 1943. Have a look at these photos http://joeidoni.smugmug.com/gallery/3385314#!i=502307479&k=fByZz
    You will find a way description in there.

Manfred

Latham Farley

@lathamfarley

Locale: Midwest

I was there 3 weeks ago and water was no problem. I was thinking with the warm winter that water would be a problem but found it not to be the case. There were no fire restrictions when we were there but I would check with the backcountry office when you go to pick up your backcountry permit. As far as mosquitos, there were enough for us to put on bug spray but not enough to need a face net.

Enjoy your hike!

Latham

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Hopefully this helps and you haven't gone on the trip yet.

I did this exact trip about 1.5 months ago.

Koip Peak Pass is dangerous if the winds kick in.

When I did it I was unlucky enough to hit 40MPH winds JUST as I got off the summit.

A few more minutes and it could have been VERY dangerous.

Here are some videos from the area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUyrjPcz00g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1dfqIERcGU

YouTube video

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've been to the B24 bomber crash site up there, as Manfred mentions. It is right in the saddle between Kuna and Koip Peaks. At first, you don't see anything. Then you look closely and see a few reflective pieces of aluminum engine cowlings. When you get close, there is scrap metal scattered all over the place, and some of the parts still have the nomenclature plate with serial number. I believe that three of the four engines are still there. The propellers show that they were spinning when they hit rock.

It makes for an interesting diversion from a normal backpacking trip.

–B.G.–

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools