Topic

Sphinx-Longley

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Sphinx-Longley

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

Just did Avalanche-Colby-Harrison Pass and loved it.

Now I'm considering four days out of Cedar Grove over Sphinx Pass and Longley Pass with perhaps Mt. Brewer and/or South Guard.

Any kinks I should be aware of?

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Post in the backpacking forum at high sierra topix dot com. Lots of Sierra x-country experts there!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Any kinks I should be aware of?"

Lots of talus around South Guard Lake; pay attention to micro route finding between Sphinx Pass and South Guard Lake. Beyond that, it depends on what you do after you go over Longley Pass. Out and back? Drop down to Lake Reflection/East Lake/Junction Meadow/Bubbs Creek/Roads End? Over Thunder Col to Milly's/Lucy's/Harrison/Forester Pass?

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

Tom, I will head out through Reflection/East Lake.

Elizabeth, Thanks for the link. Looks interesting!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Tom, I will head out through Reflection/East Lake."

Ah, can't help you there. Have a great trip thru some beautiful country!

Elena B

@elenabo

Locale: SF Bay Area

I'm thinking about doing the same loop from Roads End through Longley Pass – Lake Reflection – Junction Meadow. Does anybody know which Roads End permit one would need to get? Is it for Bubbs Creek trail?

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I only have done research not actual experience so that's a serious qualifier but……. There were some photos posted here a while back of Longley. Stay on the NW side if there's any corniche. Probably not a prob this year but evidently very large and persistent last year. Also the traverse of Lake Reflection along the North shore can be steep. Seems it's best to stay higher well above the lake.

Look forward to a report and photos! :)

Dave T

@davet

You might want to check out a trip report of mine from a while back; we did a loop from Roads End to Mineral King, and then back via Thunder/Sphinx.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=24319

I recall it taking a LONG time to get down from Sphinx Pass through the forest and talus and then all those trail switchbacks. But by then we were tired after nine days out, and trying to get to the store in Cedar Grove for beer before it closed. It's super beautiful out there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools