Topic

Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2012

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Mark Montag

@mmontag

I tried to get a pass from one of our local outdoor retailers but the list of potential volunteers wanting to attend was already past full.:-)

Thanks for the post – looking forward to Will's BPL review. It will be interesting to see how the PolarTec "Neo-Stretch" products have gained or lost interest.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

I'll be at the show posting video interviews with gear developers from the show.

Anything you BPlers want to see?

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I might be going thursday and friday possibly. Hopfully get some free gear and check out new stuff.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Went for an hour there, wanted to stay longer. Talked to Western Mountaineering for a bit, walked around, got free stickers, magazines, and a few nick nacks that ill never use.

Im not really sure if i was in the best spot inside, or what else there is to do there, but it was mediocore. I didnt check prices but I THINK that stuff is wholesale there so if your looking to buy…

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The weight is suspiciously low.

– Westcomb's Focus LT Hoody, constructed of eVent DVL fabric, is lightweight at 195 grams (7 oz) and can be compacted down to the size of a regular coffee cup.

– The Focus LT Hoody is designed with a full cut and includes a built-in elastic cinch waist, Velcro wrist closures, and a stuff sack.

– The final product is expected to hit North American stores this October.

Focus LT Hoody
    Weight: 7 oz / 195 g
    MSRP: $279

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Already mentioned by Alex.

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2012/07/28/or-preview-backcountry-camp.html

"Optimus's four-season, remote canister Vega stove can be run in traditional upright mode, for optimal efficiency and flame control, or inverted to deliver liquid gas directly to the burner, improving cold-weather and low-fuel performance. The Vega can support large pots for group use, is compatible with bake ovens, and fits in a one-liter pot. Boil time (1L) is 4.5 minutes (6.3 oz, $95)."

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It's heavy but it would be interesting to see a myog pack made from Orikasa type plastic.

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2012/08/03/slingfin.html

Honey Badgerâ„¢ – Super light, waterproof, and ultra-durable, this pack uses Comp-Shellâ„¢ technology to handle the roughest environments, without compromising on weight. An interchangeable inner bag, removable padded shoulder straps and waist belt, and easily reparable features, make this pack ideal for optimal customization based upon your needs. Patents Pending.

Capacity 1968 in³ / 32 L
    Height 9 in / 23 cm
    Length 21 in / 53 cm
    Width 12.75 in / 32 cm
    Weight 2 lbs 3.2 oz / 1 KG

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Folding poles, 5.9 ounces and fold down to less than 16 inches.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXjSBo537NM&feature=youtu.be

Aluminum folding trekking poles, fold down to 15 in, flicklock-type mechanism.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

The Honey Badger pack look like it made out of composite of 1 to 2 mm frosted HDPE plastic sheet and nylon. I have seen art cases and other binders made of it the same plastic. It a unique idea but I could see problems were the compression holes and were the nylon and plastic is sewed might become brittle and crack from UV exposer and normal wear and tear then all you have is a larger holes when the plastic cracks. So I would be afraid of this Honey Badger.

In the age of disposable gear lasting only a season it might fit a canyoneers ticket for wear protection on the sides.
    Terry

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've got high hopes for the Focus LT: eVent, 7oz, long cut, Westcomb quality. Hopefully I can get my hands on one in a few months and find out how the fit is.

If anyone gets to try one on at the show, let us know how the fit is.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I want to thank those of you reporting about the show going on.

A couple days ago "Damien Tougas BPL Staff ??" started a thread about the show. He made one comment and has not made another post since. I guess I should not be surprised the "staff" here hasn't had much to do with reporting about these shows for a few years.. When I looked at his other posts most of them were about selling his gear. Maybe I will get surprised.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Having just shared 3 nights at a house with Damien and a number of others attending OR, I can personally attest that he has been up 'till the wee hours working on OR reports for BPL. There may be some sort of time-delay publishing schedule behind the scenes I'm not aware of but Damien (with some help from Will and Janet Rietveld) has been/is working the show.

-H

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

He has made at least 10 posts so far. You must be looking in the wrong place! They are all posted, as usual and customary, in the Outdoor Retailer forum section:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/display_forum.html?forum=77

#11 was just posted–MSR has come up with a way to measure in the field how much is left in your fuel canister!:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=66819

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

I got to spend some time withe folks at Patagonia (Golly, were they nice!) who showed me some of their Spring 2013 Men's alpine line.

M10: As I mentioned in an earlier thread, the M10 is making a comeback in Spring 2013. I had assumed it would come with Gore's active shell, but it comes with the 3-layer, 15 denier H2NO that was in the prior M10 (which was very, very breathable). The new m10, while 3 oz lighter (7.9 oz), lack's pit zips and comes with a sole chest pocket, which it stuffs into (comes with a carabiner loop ala Houdini).

Das Parka: The Das Parka is being updated with 120 Gs of PL Synergy (which is supposedly the top tier PL insulation, warmer than PL one) throughout but with an additional 60Gs of PL one on the chest, hood and parts of the arms- making it SUPER warm.

Better fit, (somewhat slimmer, it seems), dual zips, same pocket set up, and a hood that is similar to the Down Hoody. Also the exterior fabric seems new, a lot like the Ultralight Down shirt. Weights ~22-24ozs.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

To BPL, or another site? Thanks for taking the time to share, much appreciated.

Also, any idea when that new Patagonia DAS Parka design will be out? By 2013, do they mean the ones that are out from now, September 2012, through March 2013?

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

I remember her saying Spring 2013- I think April… but I had been drinking a few beers (darn happy hour), so I forgot.

It is distinctively less warm than the Apasatron Hoody, which is new for fall 2012.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

New DAS looks great! That weight makes the Micropuff look heavy.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools