Topic

NEW 2007 Marmot Ion Windshirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals NEW 2007 Marmot Ion Windshirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

On sale for $39.95 at basegear.com until 3/9/07.

http://www.basegear.com/marmot-ion-windshirt.html

I had a 2006 Marmot Ion made of Pertex Quantum that felt more like ripstop nylon and wasn't very breathable. Having exchanged that for a 2007 Marmot, I find the 2007 model quite breathable — at least much better than the 2006 one that it replaced.

Marmot's website:

http://marmot.com/spring_2007/mens/outerwear/wind/ion_windshirt/details

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Addendum:

1. The jackets run small, so size up one, especially if you are close to borderline.

2. Actual weight of a size L is 5 oz.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Thanks Ben! I'll check one out. I have a houdini, but the fit is too relaxed for me. Are the new ions still very athletic (trim fitting)? Do they have a drop tail?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Jhaura:

I am 5'9" and 150 lbs. I normally wear a medium — but the Large fits me fairly well — I can add a layer in between but even without the layer, it's not baggy.

As for drop tail, yes, the back does droop a bit lower — but only a little bit.

Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Locale: Colorado

Ben,
    hit me up on my email, ive got something for you regarding the new ion.
    JT

james solomon

@dralahiker

Locale: Southeast USA

Ben
    Sounds like this version of the Ion is worth the afforable price. So the Marmot label for the fabric is indeed re-branded Quantum of some type?

My old Marmot Chinook is more breathable than the 2006 Ion model I have. The 2006 may be some form of Pertex, but the label says it's downproof – no wonder it only breathes when not moving!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hi James:

The label on the 2006 Marmot Ion is completely wrong. At the risk of stating the obvious, there is no down material at all.

Marmot's website states that the 2006 Ion is made of Pertex Quantum. I am no expert at all, but some have voiced suspicion that it really isn't. Whatever it is, it feels kind of "plasticky" — like the old Golite Helios / Ventus jackets. It's also not very breathable.

The new (2007) Marmot Ion actually feels nice next to skin — silky and soft (although not as silky / soft as the much more expensive Patagonia Houdini). The MSRP has also come down by a whopping 50% — 2007 costs $50 while the 2006 costs $100 at full retail.

If money is no problem and you insist on the best (meaning lightest and most breathable windshirt) — then I would pick the $120 Houdini. On the other hand, the new Marmot is pretty good in its own right — and lots cheaper.

james solomon

@dralahiker

Locale: Southeast USA

Thanks for the insight, Ben.
    The tag on the 2006 version with the comment on down is why I think it was the calendared version of pertex, and why it feels slicker and is less breathable. The process presses and flattens the fibers together, reducing the breathable pore space – as I understand it (hey, I could be wrong!).

For the price, I think the new Ion is worth getting just for a more stealthy color than Orange or Red!

It's interesting that the new Houdini appears to be Epic, or very similar. The infamous Big Sky company had an Epic rain jacket, but it appears to be back-ordered, like their tents.

Colin Kelley

@ckelley

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have a 2006 Ion. I love the cut and weight < 3 ounces for a large but as everyone else has observed breathability is nil. It's good at repelling water though. :-) Too bad it isn't made with real Quantum as advertised.

Marmot's site says the fabric on the new model is "Banshee P-170". The latter is Marmot's way of saying polyester at 1.7 ounces/yard before DWR. That's compared to .9 counces/yard for Quantum before DWR. No wonder they wind up > 5 ounces.

The only jacket I've heard of that still meets the original Marmot Ion promise is the Montane Jetstream. Anyone know a place to buy these in the US?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools