Topic

JMT query: alt route south fr Red’s Meadow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning JMT query: alt route south fr Red’s Meadow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

A thoughtful and helpful person on BPL suggested skipping the JMT day south of red's Meadow and replacing it with a shuttle ride and then doing Duck Pass Trail and Duck Pass- other thoughts about this? Sam.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

If I'm remembering correctly…

It's a nice bit of trail that takes you past a few lakes. It starts at a parking lot where you can catch a bus nearby to and from town. Would you let me know if the log bridge at Duck Creek is still there? The water should be low enough that you won't need it at all. If you have time, stick around to watch other JMT hikers cross that creek.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Yes! That is a tedious section of the JMT (the only tedious section, really) and the Duck Pass route is a great work-around.

Once in the town of Mammoth Lakes, you take one of the shuttles to Lake Mary. Take the Duck Pass Trail over Duck Pass, past Duck Lake. Not far below the Duck Lake outlet, rejoin the JMT southbound.

It's not a difficult pass; and you cut maybe 2 miles off (compared to the official JMT route). Lots of lakes, lots of places to camp.

– Elizabeth

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am doing JMT from Reds Meadow to Puite Pass trail ending at North Lake the week after Labour day weekend. I had also heard that was a dry, not overly scenic and also tedious section. We may do the shuttle to Lake Mary then pick up the Duck Pass trail and hook up w/the JMT past Duck Lake. Looks like more scenic, more water sources, though not really looking for too much of a shortcut, knocks it looks like 4-5 miles off. Thank you for the info Elizabeth, and Eugene!!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

It doesn't sound so cool to say you did the jmt except the part from reds to duck creek trail pass or whatever it's called. No, its not the best section of trail but if you are going to skip then why not just can the entire Bear ridge section. Go to VCR and get a ride to the trailhead going to mgr. and I would also skip the section prior to TM. Other than vernal and Nevada falls it is just average at best and very dry.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

One other route is to go towards Rainbow Falls and keep going to the Fish Creek trail. It's a much warmer route, but water should be pretty easy to find except for the ridge up and down to Fish Creek. That will take you past some hot springs as you approach the junction with the PCT/JMT. Last year there were bridges over every significant water crossing. The CCC was out there doing a lot of work last year, so I expect that the tread will be great until you cross over Fish Creek. After that there are probably going to be some new down trees, but at least the trail was cleared last year. I might be forgetting some important details, so it'd be worth double checking the maps or letting me know you're interested so I can pull out my maps to verify the route and provide more details.

Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

just back fr 15 d on the JMT- did use Duck Pass route- and since no VVR ferry now due to low water also did take Bear creek alternate back to JMT from VVR(van to trailhead) I liked both alternates a lot (of course I am no purist, saying I did every step of the way, though I understand that view

Sam.)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Doing week after next the Duck pass from Lake Mary trail to Duck Lake to JMT to VVR; then Bear Creek trail to JMT, Piute Pass to North Lake. For me it's an introduction to the Sierra's, save for another day doing the entire JMT..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools