Topic

Rain shell for a lady with a large bust?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rain shell for a lady with a large bust?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

My wife is in the market for a new rain shell. Nothing terribly high-end, and it doesn't need to be especially light- something like the Marmot Precip or Patagonia Torrentshell would be A-OK.

A lot of options with those initial parameters, but the problem she's generally run into with technical wear is the chest fit. She has a large bust (42") and a more average underbust (32") which makes finding anything athletic or technical very hard. Anyone have any recommendations for brands or models which might accommodate larger busts?

Thanks!
    Aaron

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I sort of have the opposite problem–way bigger in the hips than up top. However, Marmot Precip can come in XXL if you look on their website, which may accomodate her bust. Unless the jacket has a sharply indented waist area, anything is likely to fit like a plastic bag once the bust line is fitted, but at least the Precip may have enough room to move. I can't say it's outstanding in the waterproofness department, but it will work for the occasional summer shower.

Otherwise, the Dri-Ducks run BIG. Since her hips aren't huge (or you don't mention it that way) she may have better luck looking at men's jackets, and then just putting up with sleeves that are too long–which is sometimes fine, it allows you to tuck your hands inside the sleeves, which keeps them warmer and from getting that pruney effect from being wet for a long time. The North Face seems to run a bit more roomy, and I've managed to fit into Patagonia as well.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

+1 to Diane's suggestions and also look at LL Bean's gear. Their rain jackets for the urbanite is pretty light weight. You don't necessarilly need to buy from the outdoor hiking section. Columbia has some good jackets as well.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I think she'd rather avoid getting a XXL- she usually wears a Women's M or L, usually a L for more athletic fit stuff. Problem has been a rain jacket that fits over her bust that isn't like a garbage bag. Especially now, as she's still nursing our 8 month old. Her shape is "balanced" as they they- shoulder width is the same as hip width.

I'll pass on the recommendation of Columbia and LL Bean- thanks to you both!

David McBride

@vintagegent

Locale: Galveston TX

If you bought a larger jacket that fit her in the bust, you could take it to a tailor/seamstress who could add darts to the waist area.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

To answer a Q you didn't ask, but stuck with me as a clever solution:

When my wife was pregnant with our first, she had a substanial wind-blocker fleece jacket by a local manufacturer. She knew it wouldn't fit when 7-. 8- and 9- months pregnant, so she had them stitch an extra panel about 10" wide with a zipper on each side. Like a "double-breasted" men's jacket, but instead of two rows of buttons, it had two zippers in the front and the extra strip increased the girth. Post-partum, she set aside the extra panel until the next pregnancy.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Maybe try a poncho or cape…..

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

In our local "Old-believer" community as well as FLDS and some Amish communities, women wear a dress that fits late in pregnancy and is worn with a tie to suck it in the rest of the time. (note: "the rest of time" is seemingly not very long, as they do get pregnant early and often).

Similarly, fishermen will put a belt on the outside of their waders to reduce the volume and loose fabric and to have a place for a sheath knife.

There are parkas that have that function through a interior drawstring. If at her waist, that could suck in the extra fabric of a parka large enough to accomodate her chest.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools