Topic

Snow conditions in the Winds

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Snow conditions in the Winds

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Does anyone know what the snow is looking like right now in the Wind River range (especially on Gannett Peak)? Heading down there for an 8 day trip this weekend, and looking to do some climbing as well. Just figured I'd check to see if anyone's been down there recently.

John Peterson

@skik2000

Locale: Boulder, CO

See you out there. Starting on Friday out of Elkhart Park.

John Peterson

@skik2000

Locale: Boulder, CO

Just got back from a trip. Don't have any beta on Gannet. Some snow to contend with on knapsack col but can be done without any gear. Peak Lake side you only encounter some snow on flat surfaces before making the push to the col. On the Titcomb side there is a big snowfield with some ice and boulders. We descended the talus and then traversed around the edge until we got on some lower angle snow.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Any more snow reports? I am leaving next week for a loop in the northern winds and am trying to decide if microspikes are needed. I am perticularly interested in the indian pass/knifepoint terminal moraine area. Pallister says crampons may be needed in normal or above average snow years. Thoughts?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools