Topic

Bear Grylls / Craghopper Climaplus jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bear Grylls / Craghopper Climaplus jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

Anyone seen / heard anything about this? I just found it on TheClymb:
    http://www.theclymb.com/brand-event/50152/show-product/77079?f=mi

And it's an impressively low price for a synthetic puffy that weighs 11.5 oz. But, there's hardly any technical information at all on this piece, even on the manufacturers site. I have no experience at all with the Bear Grylls brand so I haven't a clue whether they have good construction, decent materials, etc.

But if it's any good, then this would be in the same class as a Nano Puff Hoody, or an old UL Thermawrap Parka (btw I'm trying to sell my MB parka right now in the Gear Swap, hint hint).

Anyway, I'm real curious about this piece. Anybody know anything?

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

I would be a little nervous about it. You may feel the urge to start drinking your own pee.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you could cover over the logo, it would be a great buy. Ultralight insulation is the most expensive part my kit. BUT, I don't want anything associated with Mr. Grylls or to carry around his name on my gear. He's like a professional wrestler: a clown in a different costume.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Hey so I couldn't disagree more about not buying it because it says Grylls on it… this guy has been screwed and basically got fired from the show because he didn't want to be as ridiculous as they made him act. He is a respected survivalist and just because he was marketed to the world doesn't mean his name on something means it sucks. HOWEVER, I can tell you the quality of the gear that craghopper's makes in his name is questionable to say the least. I bought a pair of the "bear grylls" pants because they looked like they could take a beating. They came and the sizing was so odd – baggyish legs but tight waist. The seams all had threads hanging off. Overall the fabric used was heavy and did not look great. Honestly I would steer clear of this brand because craghopper's uses sloppy sewing and assembly, not because it says bear grylls :)

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

Adam,
    I don't have any strong opinions about Mr. Bear, unlike the other posters haha! Anyway, your response is all I need to see. Thanks for weighing in.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

for that price id buy it if i didnt have an old navy puffy that i got for 19$ already …

$50 for a synth hooded puffy that weights ~12 oz??? …. it could say "proud member of the republican tea party" and id still buy it at that price ;)

dont worry about how you look, but what you do with it …

its not even in those garish colors that BPLers are bemoaning about =P

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I have a different BG/Craghoppers clothing item that I purchased a month ago from TheClymb. It is the Tracker Top, which has a fleece inner (similar to Polartec's furry Thermal Pro) and a nylon shell outer. I've worn it a few times, and while the quality isn't anywhere near Patagonia or even Marmot, it is still a pretty nice and somewhat unique piece that I expect to get some good use out of as the colder months start coming up.

For what it cost ($44) and the fact that I got to spend my referral credits on something useful, I am quite satisfied.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I'd avoid it, but only because of the issues with quality other users have brought up. I've looked at some of it at Gander Mountain, where it's been on sale on and off and much of it made it to the 30-70% off clearance rack. The materials, design, and workmanship didn't impress.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I ordered a couple pair of their lighweight pants last year and while the quality was decent (not great) the fit was just bizarre. I sent them back for a refund as there was no way that sizing up or down would garner a good fit.

Not sure what they use for designing the fit of their pants, but it isn't anatomically correct :)

as far as Bear goes, the theatrics are part of the "show"- I'm pretty confident he would be quite comfortable in most survival situations

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

If it is anything like his deal with gerber I wouldn't trust the quality. Gerber was looking for someone to just put their name on the product without any input. They went to Les Stroud (Suvivorman) first and he declined. Bear obviously did not.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

Regardless of the experience people have had with other items from this clothing line, the reviews on Amazon and the Craghoppers website were favorable for this particular jacket, so it could still be worthwhile at that price.

I may pick one up myself just to see what it's like.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I like to think that good products, from reputable manufacturers, require minimal advertising, and sell themselves on reputation and word of mouth.

Items which are mass marketed and sold using imagery, spokespersons, etc often do so for a reason.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools