Topic

Gourmet canister stove for the wife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gourmet canister stove for the wife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brett Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@ascientist

Locale: Grants Pass, Oregon

In the endless search to make camping more appealing for my wife, and as an excuse to buy more gear, I am on the search for a stove that will be comfortable for meals more involved than my typical boil in a bag method.

Criteria:
    Remote canister stove
    Wide flame pattern
    Wide stable base for larger pots
    Automatic ignition
    Light enough for some family backpacking (no Coleman double burners)
    Ideally low CO levels (I just like the idea of this and I'm considering trying some winter cooking in a ventilated floor-less tent in conjunction with a digital CO monitor, although this would not be the primary use of the stove)

So far I have narrowed it down to two stoves:

Primus Gravity II EF With Piezo Ignition Gas Stove P-327993

and

Kovea Expedition TKB-9703-1

The Kovea is heaver, but also lower in CO and I am leaning towards it. Apologies in advance for asking such a non-light weight centered question on this forum. I promise to cut my toothbrush even shorter if I buy this stove:) Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

I just bought one of these for my 2 person setup. It is missing the piezo lighter and it is not invertable but at 98 grams it is ideal for pots up to 2 litres. The burner head appears to be the same as the Fire Maple 116T (Monatauk Gnat) so it should have low CO2. Cost under US$60 on eBay including postage. I have added a 100mm wide strip of Ti for a windshield about 1 oz (30g) depending on the length to suit the pot diameter.

If you want an invertable stove then look at the Fire Maple 118 at 146 grams which as a very similar design. I haven't see the 118 on eBay yet.

http://fire-maple.com/products_list.html?cate_id=8&c_id=5

I should add that I have used my 116T extensively and am very happy with it. I haven't used the 117T apart from test firing it but it also seem excellent.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
    Brett Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@ascientist

I found the 118 on EBAY for 49.99 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fire-maple-Cooking-stove-camping-stove-146g-2990w-FMS-118-Windscreen-/230824631223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35be385bb7&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101

That's a great price for such a light weight remote canister stove. I would jump on it, but am really looking for something with a piezo lighter built in for the wife.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Windpro and done.

piezo is a deal breaker? Maybe YOU should do the cooking. :)

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

I looked for a bit and couldn't find any other "lightish" stove meeting the above criteria.

Re: the auto ignition…would one of the handheld piezos surfice? If not maybe you add one of these to a manual ignition stove (fire maple back in?):
    http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/stove-accessories/autostart-igniter/product

For a data point on flame pattern, I been able to make pancakes in an Al pot with monotuak gnat on lowest setting.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

looks like this guy was able to fit the MSR piezo on an optimus stove:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCJ9xrI8nd0

Also, If you already have a normal canister stove with piezo and nice flame patern…you could try to source one of the brunton stove stands to make it remote — though this wouldn't quite as stable as a normal remote stove (would be taller). I am pretty sure I still have one I tried to sell a while back….

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

I have that 118. It's great stove. See my review on this site: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=64593&cat=Stoves%20-%20Canister&cid=19
    Forget the piezo. Anyway it is not reliable!

Madeline T

@madscot13

I have a gravity MF. I think it is very stable and very easy to use. We cook everything on it. We can make pancakes without a problem. It is very wide and very stable. Being low to the ground helps tooNothing has ever fallen off of it and it has never toppled. I use it for cooking with big groups. The one thing is though is that I have an older model and my flame pattern is not equally distributed. I am not sure it this really matters in reality- I don't really notice that only one side of my pancakes cook. The gravity MF does not have a piezo. I do have a stove with one and it does make it much easier to use- I will give your wife that.

Brett Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@ascientist

I ended up going with the Optimus Stella Plus. Actually it was my wife's choice. She really likes the remote piezo ignition. Certainly not the lightest option and I agree that Piezo may not last. I decided I would not buy one for trying inside a tent for now. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not much of a canister stove person. I prefer wood, alcohol, and gasoline to cook with in that order. When I'm traveling light it is almost always boil in a bag. Maybe later I will try one of the other stoves suggested.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools