Topic

Camp Chairs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Camp Chairs?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    David K

@aviddk

Locale: SW Oregon

"Those of us in Oz will find the Alite Mantis = Helinox Chair One. We scored a couple from the first batch – for our upcoming 3 month trip by sea kayak. Comfort is sensational! Weight is around 900g"

The Alite Mantis is the Real Deal and totally worth the weight. Call them our guilty pleasure if you must, but my wife and I wouldn't consider going without them.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

@ That Other Jack Elliott, ;-)

"As a guy who has one (1) fused ankle and (1) titanium knee…"

"I'll get a camera crew to follow me on my next backpack and see if I can't get enough data for analysis and embarrassment".

IMHO just the fact that you are out there backpacking and hiking precludes any possibility of embarrassment.

My hiking buddy also has issues with one of his ankles and an orthopedist told him, "Never stop hiking".

Party On,

Newton

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

That Helinox looks like it's taller than the Alite Mantis. A little heavier too but still reasonable. Might be a good option given Mr. Elliott's criteria.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

The Alite Mantis is on sale thru Amazon. Heck..I might get one!

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

Hm, so the Alite Mantis is looking pretty interesting at this point.

Does anyone have a photo of the Alite Mantis' frame broken down and bundled for packing?

Only because while the Alite Monarch's aluminum framework–a bunch of nicely-machined tubes and fittings held together with shock cord–doesn't fold flat: there's this central cross fitting that prevents the cluster of tubes and bits from being collapsed into a nice neat bundle. Not a real problem of design or reliability, and not a hassle to pack, but it just looks aesthetically…stupid. To save weight I don't use the provided cordura-like stuff sack, but just bundle the collapsed frame with a couple hair bands.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Here….and read the comments as well.

YouTube video

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

LOL — at 1:18 you can see what a wonderfully angular mess of parts the broken-down frame looks like. Oh well, it's a minor matter.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Actually the Monarch looks the same unfolded, but I've had no problems with it.

FWIW, over on HammockForums.com there is a design for a MYOG chair composed of a long strip of fabric (+/- a pad)/ The top of the fabric strip is supported by two trekking poles, your butt sits on the lower part of the fabric on the ground, and you lean against the top section. I think I've got the directions saved as a word document – if you are interested, PM me your email, and I'll send it to you (or anyone else).

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Looks like you still have to squat down to get into it. Is that going to work for you?

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

It's not the assembled shape of the chairs I'm commenting on, it's the remarkable tangle of tubes that make up the unassembled frame.

As a fellow with a metal knee and a fused ankle — I believe I've mentioned this before? — sitting flat on the ground is not very comfortable. First, those of us with these physical "features" can neither kneel, squat, nor sit cross-legged, meditation style. Sitting flat on the ground with one's legs stuck straight out in front becomes tired real fast. And don't even get me started on how much of a pain it is to get down on or up from the ground.

Brian Keith Gunter

@bkgunter

Locale: Midwest

I have the Monarch and love it.

If you find a "once in a trip perfect spot" to set up the chair its great. A tree behind, to avoid the "fallback", a rock or stump to the side to avoid the "crash and burn", or the firm terra to prevent the "titanic", its the most camp comfort I have found for my old ankles, beat up knees, and post "under the knife" back.

Well worth the 1.3 lbs for my weekend to weeklong trips.

Lou Gehrig

@lou4gehrig

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Cane Seat

Only 28 oz – less than the Alite, acts as a trekking cane (!), no sitting on the ground! Plus it's cheap – only $28 at Amazon! What more could you want????? ;-)

David K

@aviddk

The Mantis can be set up or taken down in one minute. We rarely stop without taking the time to shake out ours. We store them in the side pockets of our backpacks so they are easy to access. The huge advantage of course is that you really can relax your back. My wife can scooch down in hers and have her head supported by the back. Everytime we sit in ours we think they are totally worth the carry weight.

David K

@aviddk

First I wanted to point out that the weight with cover is 1 lb. 11 oz. Here are couple of pictures that may help the OP.

Alite Mantis Frame

Alite Mantis packed without cover

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Looks like my Alite Monarch is going FS and I'm gonna get me a Mantis.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Not the cane seat? Aw, shucks!!!!

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Aw, the cane seat is swell, don't get me wrong! And, as you rightly say, the price is right. But I use trekking poles, and sitting like a sack of potatoes on a stool isn't my idea of a good time.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

I'd be disappointed in you if you went for it! ;-)

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

I can highly recommend the Walkstool Comfort Stool, mine's the 55/22 XL version, and it's well designed and constructed, using quality materials. The seat is a waterproof ventilated mesh and the whole thing's lightweight.

I bought this stool because I have disabilities which affect my spine and hip, and need seating which is secure, supportive and comfortable, I carry mine in a fabric, padded tripod case that fits like it was made for it.

http://walkstool.com/

Backpack Gear Test Owner's Reviews: (3)

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Camp%20Chairs%20and%20Seating/Chairs/Walkstool%20Comfort%2055/

Wex Photographic Owner's Reviews: (4)

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-walkstool-comfort-55/p1012871

It's certainly not cheap, but I consider it to be well worth every penny. I also use the Crazy Creek Cradle Lounger (a Sling-Light copy) which is also great.

TJ Christopher
    BPL Member

@compel

New info to resurect this thread.

Like the OP I had a Alite Monarch chair but didn't find it the most comfortable, so I ended up getting the Alite Mantis and Helinox Chair One both of which I like better though at a weight penalty.

Stopped by REI for a look around today and spotted this:

http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair

It's a clone of the Helinox Chair One. The only difference I can see is the seat has more mesh in it and the stuff sack is more basic (and probably lighter). Cheaper than the Helinox as well at $64.50.
    REI spec page says 28 oz.
    For reference on my scale the Helinox is 29 oz plus 3 oz for the stuff sack, and the Alite Mantis is 27 oz plus 2 oz for the stuff sack.

Also of note the Alite Mantis chair is on sale on REI's site at $84.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

TWO AND A HALF POUNDS? And we quibble over taking TP? Nooooooo

If you use a CCF pad, or carry a sit pad, there is no more cost or weight to add. With Mother Earth under you and a rock or log at your back, you can sit comfortably. My Z-Seat pad is all of 2oz.

If you go to 16oz, you can sit in a nice hammock that takes about two minutes to hang. You can lie down and take a nap, or wonder of wonders, spend the night it one if you add some insulation and a tarp.

Then again, you do need several tons of vertical trees to tie it to :)

Emmanuel Romo
    BPL Member

@emman714

Locale: Southern California

Kifaru field chair paired with a sit pad or kneel pad.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Or is there such an animal as a Cuben fabric "chair" envelope into which one can insert a Thermarest inflatable foam matress?

Maybe a cottage industry maker familiar with Cuben fabric could make some.

But WAIT, there's more!

Imagine, a Cuben fabric "chair" envelope for only $99.95. WHAT A BUY

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools