Topic

Indian Peaks Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Indian Peaks Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Fires on the way up to Boulder. Bad planning on my part but we could not find a hotel from Pueblo all the way thru Boulder. We ended up staying at the Twin Owls Motor Lodge in Estes Park.

Fires on Wednesday

My 13 year old daughter up and over Buchanan Pass, the last couple hundred yards of the trail was still under snow, not to bad just added a little scrambling fun.

Emily up and over Buchanan Pass

One of about 30 tree falls we encountered.

Tree fall

On of my favorite pics.

Columbine

Fun little climb to free our tangled bear bag line.

Bear Bag Line Caught

He/she was huge. The moose's buddy was laying down just to the left of where this one was.

Moose!

Our 4th night's home.

Crater Lake

Cabin crumbling on a small bluff overlooking the lake.

Glacier Lake Cabin

We followed a "trail" along the edge of the lake.

Around Glacier Lake

Early the last morning.

Reflections Tree

Reflections Mountains

Reflections Rocks

Trees and Mountains Reflection

Views from approaching Pawnee Pass

View From Pawnee Pass

We could see this outline of the head for about and hour till we got close.

Indian Head

My brother contemplating life, universe, and everything.

Vince Resting

Resting after a dash down the backside of the pass with weather approaching.

Resting After Run

Weather coming in.

Weather that chased us down

Weather

Columbine

One of the highlights of the trip for my daughter.

Emily with Butterfly

Family pic. Me, daughter, and brother.

Last Day

Now my screensaver.

Reflections

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Beautiful set of photos, Chris. And what memories for your daughter. Was this her first backcountry trip with the old man?

I asked this question on Stephen M's IPW thread, but in case you missed it – Aside from Crater Lake, where else did you camp? Did you get a look at Gourd Lake above the Buchanan Pass Trail? We were warned that access might be difficult so early in the season. Stephen's coming back out at the end of September and we're going to conquer the loop with cooler temps and better acclimatization planning this time around.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

This was my daughters first trip. Emily did awesome, I found her a used REI UL 45 pack. She carried her sleeping bag, pad, and clothes, plus snacks. I carried our tent, cookware, meals, first aid, etc. I've been waiting 13 years to take her up in the mountains. Even as a child I always, and quickly, showed signs of altitude sickness, I'm glad it skipped a generation because she had no issues whatsoever.

To be safe we stayed 2 nights in Estes Park, about 7000 feet, to acclimatize. I also take Diamox, lessons learned the hard way.

Stuart,
    I think our weather was much nicer, mid to low 70's during the day and low 40's at night. Pretty cloudy and stormy looking each afternoon, but the last day it poured on us from about 2 in the afternoon until early in the AM.

We didn't make it to Gourd Lake.

Started at Mitchell Lake trailhead, up and over Buchanan Pass to spend the first night in Coney Flats. Not the prettiest campsite but we were trying to find some where relatively low at about 9700 feet.

Next day we moved to Fox Meadows. Lovely wide open area, with flowing streams everywhere.

The 3rd night we stayed pass the Cascade Trail Junction up above the main falls. We found a nice spot about 50 yards off the trail. There are hidden campsites all along the way.

4th night was at Crater Lake. We slept on one of the lake south edge designated sites. The east side of the lake sites had lovely views but terrible water access.

5th day was up and over Buachana Pass and out to Long Lake Trailhead with about a 10 minue walk to the car.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

One of my absolute favorite loops in Colorado. Glad you and your family enjoyed it so much. Fox Park is one of the highlights for me when I do this loop.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools