Topic

Center Shelter Pole

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Center Shelter Pole

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

So I just picked up a SuperMid and am planning on using on a bike tour. Being that I won't have trekking poles, what are my other options for the center pole? It's quite surprising that a google search yields no quick answers(hint, hint for you cottage people). Thanks.

Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

How about a telescoping aluminum paint roller pole?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Fibraplex carbon fiber pole.

–B.G.–

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Ruta Locura

Anonymous
    Inactive

it comes in two sizes and the price is right.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

You can use a carbon fiber fishing pole. These are the panfish poles about 10' in length. They can slip when assembled, so a small pin needs to be drilled in to hold them. The first lenght is also usefull as a hiking staff. Note, thay CAN be cut, the narrow section slips into the wide section and pulls together. About 3 1/2oz for a pole up to 5' long can be made up in 4-5 sections. Cost is about $5.99 plus your fiddle time, of course. Check Shakespear or the like for quantities of 8…(also good for tunnel tents.)

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

The lightest option is two down branches lashed together as a bipod, supporting the mid externally from the center of the poles. Be careful none of the branches have sharps sticking out which will puncture the fabric while pitching.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great suggestions so far, thanks!

I think I'm in favor of a production pole made from CF or Aluminum. I know that may make me not SUL, but I can carry an extra 3-10 ounces especially when the weight will be split among atleast 2 people. Any other suggestions before I hurry and buy one?

Erik Hagen
    BPL Member

@ewh100

Locale: SF Bay Area

At one point Seek Outside was selling CF tent poles but i don't see them on the website anymore. You may want to give them a call.
    http://seekoutside.mybigcommerce.com/

Other than that I would second Ruta Locua. You'll need the beefier 0.600 pole.

Paul Ashton

@pda123

Locale: Eastern Mass

You could just use a trekking pole anyway. That way you don't have to buy anything

Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a GoLite SL5 which is pretty similar to the supermid in size. I wanted to save some weight with the pole and looked at the Seek Outside and Ruta Lorca options and stuck with GoLite.

I don't see the seek outside pole anymore, but I think it was quite expensive for not a while lot of weight savings. I think the Ruta Lorca pole would need the extender for your supermid (66" is too short for the SL5). With the extender you are looking at saving 7.125 oz for about $90. That is a substantial weight savings, particularly when you add in the weight savings from your wallet.

The GoLite pole is right now 17.50 on sale.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"You could just use a trekking pole anyway. That way you don't have to buy anything"

Paul, did you read his initial post?

–B.G.–

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

has a 1.5 oz. 48" carbon pole for, I think, $22. I'd go that route, maybe add a pole jack if need be. Always wanted to try a bike trip, never have gotten more than one county or parish out of town though.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

you likely aren't bothering… but on the last bike tour I did (more years ago than I will admit) I brought a tripod because this was in the day that if you wanted decent color slides, you were shooting ASA 50, or at most 100. The tripod extended made an excellent center pole weighting in at around 2.5lb.

–Mark

Paul Ashton

@pda123

Locale: Eastern Mass

Bob, yes I did. It's a bike tour. May still have trekking poles at home, in which case, use them.

David Wills

@willspower3

I'm just going to use my trekking poles for a bike tour next weekend for my Duomid. I'm pulling a cheap heavy trailer for the two of us going. The difference in weight of a pole is so negligible at this point. 45 lb recumbent tricycle, 16 pound trailer, + gear for 2 and at least one 20% grade. Every UL fiber in my being is going to be cursing me for this one…

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

On my bike tour this summer, I just used a .625 aluminum pole from BPWD, and it worked great. I don't use trekking poles when hiking those either, so that's what I use on the trail too. You might just want to consider bringing the trekking pole, as it probably doesn't weigh much more than the aluminum tent poles.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools