Topic

Sunshine in the Deep South

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Sunshine in the Deep South

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Sunshine in the Deep South

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I just happened to be watching the "Oregon Field Guide" piece about Balls and Sunshine on the PCT.

Looks like you'll have another great trip, looking forward to the next installment.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

For those wanting more detail…

Their trail journal starts at
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=364996

Their most recent entry has them in Maine, 168 miles from Mt. Katahdin!

Go, Sunshine, go!

Cheryl McCormick
    BPL Member

@cherylmccormick

Sunshine and Balls,
    I am pleased to see the photo of you both together, the first one in this article. I took that! We had such a nice visit while walking. Those spring beauties looked like snow covering the hillside. I asked if we could stop and get some photos. I have one of me with both of you because Balls was able to use a little plastic gadget to connect my camera to his trekking pole. Notice that Balls does not have his trekking poles with him. That is because he was kind enough to loan them to me for a few miles so that I could see what it was like to hike with poles. Yep, they are the first things I bought to prepare for my AT journey next year; a journey which Balls and Sunshine, in part, have inspired me to do.
    Thank you and I feel so fortunate to have met you both. I am excited and proud of your accomplishment.
    Cheryl McCormick
    "Clinker"

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Wow pretty crazy to see all that snow, and especially this year, where we had such mild winter action on the east coast. I had to drive to the white mountains in NH to get a real winter hike in this year! Glad to see you guys having a good time this year, should be easy until you get farther north, but even then you won't have to deal with high mountain passes and crazy elevation like you did on the west coast. Be safe and enjoy, hope to run into you guys on the trail one day!

Ronald Stoecklein

@rs7troutaol-com

Read about your adventures on the PCT before–

I think it's an inspiration to a lot of people with kids what you all are doing.

I've taken my daughters up into the Sierras several times backpacking but no long trips!!

Envy!!

Have a great trip–and please keep your Journal and pics coming!!

Dennis Phelan
    BPL Member

@dennisphelan

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks for sharing your story. I know you guys are having a great experience. I laughed about your comment about the length of time it takes to get soaked in a southern rain. I am a NW native but had the opportunity to live in Atlanta for 4 years. Even though the NW is known for its rain, I never owned an umbrella until I lived in the South; not the little ones either, you need the big diameter golf style ones.

I look forward to your future aticles on the balance of your trip.

Dennis

Edward GOUVIER
    BPL Member

@egouvier

This is the greatest adventure, an ongoing pursuit of what will be a significant life's learning experience. It is quest most all of us have shared in our thoughts, but, unlike the rest, you have shown the gumption to get up, go out, and do it. The journey and the journal of your adventures is an inspiration. Happy Trails, my friends.

I hope there may be a future book (or two) in the offing? you guys rock –

Patricia Combee

@trailfrog

Locale: Northeast/Southeast your call

All I know is that the two of you will have the treasure of your trail adventures together for the rest of your lives. You will laugh about stuff only that only the two of you will know why it is funny. I hope your adventures will inspire other parents to seek out this kind of adventure with their children. After all, life is for living, not getting rich or famous or having THE job.

Hopefully, I will someday meet one or both of out there.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Great to hear you guys are having a good hike. I was bummed when I figured out from your trail journal that my mom just missed you guys when she hiked cookies out to a shelter in Virginia.
    I look forward to hearing of more adventures.

Eric Gjonnes
    BPL Member

@ekg

Locale: Northwest

Thanks everyone for your Active Water donations! Over $500 was donated since this article came out! Thats awesome! With the match and only $700 more, one well will be installed! It's so great to be a part of something so big! Thanks again! I'm working on the next AT article now.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Did I miss Parts 2 & 3? I had followed their trail journal but always liked the articles Balls wrote, but just realized I never saw the next installment.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools