Topic

Ultralight Baking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ultralight Baking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Ultralight Baking

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Clever setup. Nice job.

Lapsley Hope

@laps

Very good straightforward informative article.
    I'll give it a try.
    Thanks.

Alice Hengst
    BPL Member

@moondust

Locale: Southern Sierras

Dumplings are a great option if all you have is a pot with a lid and a screw-on-the-canister stove. You can cook them on top of any soup or stew.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Alice – Say more about that!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

This is very intriguing to me. I'd love to try this.

Looks like Baco might be a Euro brand and not available in the US, and Reynolds (de facto oven bag maker here) only makes Large and Turkey sized bags. The large seems about 16" x 20".

Does anyone know of smaller sized oven bags here in the US?

Laural Bourque

@lauralbaby

Locale: PNW

Dumplings are just biscuits dumped in soup and boiled, basically.

Mark Schultz

@mgschultz

Very innovative! The article did not mention the bakepacker oven, which is lighter than the outback oven, but not light as the cool setup described in this article. The bakepacker oven can be used with any type of stove since the pot serves as the "oven." It's just a separator grill that gets the cooking bag (any freezer bag) off the bottom of the pot, and the baking is down with steam from a small amount of water. At 4oz it seemed excessive to me until I realized the benefit of packing more calories into a bear canister allowing me to go further without resupply. The premixed corn breads, muffin mix, and bisquits pack very tightly with lots of carb calories. I think some small rocks might work as well as this bakepacker device, but I haven't tried it yet. I've only used this on long trips in Yosemite canister country. The small model fits perfectly in the MSR Titan and works great for 2. Left overs (if you have any) make a great snack next morning. I agree, baking in the wild is an awesome treat after a few days on the trail.

http://www.bakepacker.com/

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I have a couple of Bakepackers, and I used to use them a lot for group trips. Although it would work for many kinds of bread recipes, it seemed to work best for pre-packaged snack breads that were mixed up with only about 2/3 of the liquid called for.

Hungry backpackers will eat up warm bread almost instantly.

–B.G.–

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools