Topic

Transferring pattern with Cad program?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Transferring pattern with Cad program?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Taiga
    BPL Member

@taiga

I'm new to sewing and I've never used a cad program before. I'm trying to go through the five yards to SUL articles but I'm lost on how to actually transfer the pattern from the computer to measuring it onto fabric. I downloaded the recommended free cad program but I'm unsure on how to proceed from there. The article mentions using the software's measuring tool. Anyone familiar with this?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

All the pieces are rectangles with a few straight angled lines

You could just measure it

Don't really need a pattern unless you're like doing clothes with curved lines

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

What's the 'free CAD program'? Is it Google's SketchUp? If so (and it's a very good choice), learn how to use it…

SketchUp allows you to 'dimension' the drawing; to show the distance between two points, e.g. the ends of a line. In the menu bar, the dimension tool has an example dimension image (with a figure '3'). Just hover the mouse over each tool icon until the little pop-up "what's this" box says 'Dimension'.

Then simply select the line you want to measure (mouse click), and drag the mouse away from the line. This will drag the dimension away from the line, so you can see it clearly.

Alternatively, you can use the right-click 'Entity Info' dialogue to find line lengths, and areas of shapes.

You can use the Protractor tool to measure angles.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Print to PDF full size. Print at kinko on 36 in wide paper.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

FYI, not all PDF's are to scale. I used PDF's to make patterns and the print will not be to scale (24" actual 23 .8" on the print at FedEx Office). To most people this should be a minor issue but it would be conservative to add a reference line so that you can adjust the scale. My 2 cents – Jon

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> FYI, not all PDF's are to scale.

It's more likely that the printer isn't to scale. That's the reason I prefer PostScript, as I can then add a compensating scale factor in each direction. Just to complicate things further, a printer's scaling will often vary over the page (due to the motion of the paper through the system). In the direction perpendicular to the feed, it's usually pretty consistent.

Just printing out some romer designs, so I've been through this again recently, although the code dates back to 2000…

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

Here's a good free AutoCAD clone – http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/overview/

Even comes in a Linux version…

BM

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

If you tell the person at kinkos to make sure they adjust the pdf settings in the print window to 100% it will print 1:1 as you designed it. I used to deal with all the time in school, they typically looked at me like I was a jerk for pointing it out but I got exactly what I wanted. Adobe to printers autoscales almost all the time to 98% for printer margins.

Michael Pappas

@mpap89

Locale: bay area

The method explained below on the second page of this thread seemed to work pretty well.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=63726&startat=20

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools