Topic

Day hike from base camp, how do you carry water/food/essentials

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Day hike from base camp, how do you carry water/food/essentials

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

This is something I've struggled with.

What do you bring(to carry essentials) when you know you'll be going on a day hike during a backpacking trip? Some call it a summit pack.

I've been eyeing that GG Bigbag but I'm not sure that's the ultimate solution.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I use my main pack, but there is nothing wrong with taking a second pack under about 5 ounces ; ).

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I sewed a daypack out of very thin material. It is large enough to carry a bear canister, and it weighs 1.4 ounces. When in camp, I use it for an oversized stuff sack.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I sewed a "daypack" out of silnylon, 1.5" grosgrain non adjustable "straps", 1 ounce

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

This is the one I use :

daypack 1
    Daypack 2
    70g (+/- 2g). The pocket you see in the second pic is the cover you see in the first.
    Sea to Summit has something similar now :

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/showdetail.php?Code=AUDPACK
    Franco

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

As long as your regular pack is reasonably light (and of course it must be if you're a BPL member :-) ), then just use it for dayhikes. That's what I do – no extra weight at all and plenty of room to throw in the foam pad for cushy lunch relaxation.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"As long as your regular pack is reasonably light (and of course it must be if you're a BPL member :-) ), then just use it for dayhikes."

+1

It's also a good idea to carry a couple day's worth of food, enough to get back to TH, just in case critters get to your main stash. SOP for me.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If my camp is already set up, sometimes I will use the sleeping bag stuff sack as a temporary daypack.

–B.G.–

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I got something like this free at a conference:

http://www.thedealrack.com/p-2128-liberty-bags-small-drawstring-bag-backpack-8881.aspx?cagpspn=pla&gclid=CL3HjqzyprECFSUbQgodYCIAVA

I haven't weighed mine but it is about the same as a stuff sack (and could be used as one). You may have a difficult time sourcing one for free, so you may have to shell out the $2…

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Thanks Franco! I had a gift card and used it on the Sea to Summit pack. Pretty cool. I'm going to use it as a summit pack this weekend when I hit a 13'er while backpacking. Should work great for that.

Glidon Cage

@glidoncage

Locale: Santa monica bay

I use hiking backpack by Athalon luggage. Its dimensions are 17" x 14" x 13" which provides good space, to carry my food and essentials in one pack. Two ventilated side pockets for ski boots, extra ergonomic padding on back for added comfort, front pocket for music with headphone port and additional pocket for carrying water.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Gossamer Gear RikSak

Patrick Fitz-Gibbon
    BPL Member

@campingtrail

Locale: western nsw

I use my larger pack if its a good one it will be lightweight anyway and you can just strap everything in, also if you are doing day hikes from a base camp why would you want to carry another pack into the base camp in the first place.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

I use my ULA CDT pack which also doubles as my main pack. I haven't yet found the need to pack an extra pack just for day hiking/fishing excursions.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

sometimes you're not operating out of a base camp, but still want to bag a peak (or two) on route to camp- a small, light pack can be pretty handy vs dumping all of you non-needed gear- if it can serve multiple use better yet

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

"sometimes you're not operating out of a base camp, but still want to bag a peak (or two) on route to camp- a small, light pack can be pretty handy vs dumping all of you non-needed gear- if it can serve multiple use better yet"

Exactly. I did get the Sea to Summit pack Franco recommended and when I got to the base of the peak I was going to climb last Saturday, I hung my pack and my dog's pack, to keep the marmots from getting them, and then summitted with the small pack with just water, gels, and emergency gear. There was no trail and it was a steep ascent. It was so much easier just carrying the small pack. I supposed I could have just hung the pack liner and the dog pack and used my backpack, but for a couple of oz, I like this method a lot more.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools