Topic

Blackrock gear vest paired with Goosefeet Sleeves (pic’s)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Blackrock gear vest paired with Goosefeet Sleeves (pic’s)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

Marriage made in heaven this one is.

Large Blackrock gear down vest – Total weight = 124 grams (4.37oz) with 62 grams (2.2oz) 900 Fill, 7D shell material. Double loft is 3".

Custom Goosefeet down sleeves – Total weight for the pair = 80 grams (2.82oz) with 23 grams (0.8oz) 900 Fill per Sleeve, 7D shell material. Double loft is 2".

So I now have a great system that can be used in winter here or the vest taken even over summer as it's that light.

Total weight is 204 grams which is about 2 grams heavier than my old Montbell UL inner jacket, But that only had 2oz 800 fill. This new set-up has 3.8oz 900 fill.
    Pretty cool eh !!

Great work Evan & Ben !!

(Paired up with my Goosefeet 2/3 down shorts – M90 shell, 2.5oz fill (159g) + Goosefeet M50 down booties, 25% overfill (61g) I'd say I'll be pretty toasty in camp or asleep)

VestSleevesVest/Sleeve ComboVest/Sleeve Combo2Down 2/3rd Shorts

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

nice :) how are the sleeves attached?

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

They don't "attach" as such to the actual vest, they have some small flat bungie cord front and back, one across the chest, one across the back. You don't really notice it.
    This is what holds the sleeves up. The vest goes over the top sealing the whole system up nicely.

If I lift my arms above my head, like right up straight, I get a small gap under the sleeve in my armpit.
    I don't normally try my arm flapping attempt at flying whilst camping so the gap should be a minimal issue.

Arms at rest and there is no gap at all.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

What quilt/sleeping bag you combining this setup with? And what * you think you can be comfortable at?

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

I did a night @ -5°C (23°F) two weekends ago with a 30°F TQ (Hammock gear M50/7d wide Burrow with 1.5" baffles, 10.5oz 900fill)

Had the vest, pants and down socks on over a Rab meco 120 LS, 150wt merino long johns and a melanzana 100wt fleece hoodie + my blackrock beanie. I was very warm all night and had no issues in camp for a few hours before and after sleep. I think this will be my new 20°F layer and sleep system.

This is one warm vest and I'd not hesitate in just taking the vest, baselayers and rain gear for a trip to freezing.

Eric Brigman
    Spectator

@engine386

Locale: Central Florida

I might have to follow your lead on this one!

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

man i wish blackrock would make that vest a full sleeve version. both items look great.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Seriously awesome/light set up!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools