Topic

Pillow Case?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pillow Case?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

I was wondering if anyone had success creating a custom sized pillow case to hold an insulating garment so as to use it for a pillow? I have tried sleeping on small nylon stuff sacks filled with clothing items, but the material was not too comfortable against the skin. I was thinking a small silk pillow case could hold a down jacket just tight enough to create a pretty nice pillow. Anyone have an example of anything like that???

Thanks for any and all help!

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Just something for your consideration; by planning to sleep in your insulation layer you can bring a lighter sleeping bag. An then could carry a 65 gram inflatable pillow for that purpose.
    https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=1106&hinban=1124290

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I believe REI, Thermarest, and others sell stuff sacks with nylon on the outside and microfleece on the inside. You use it just like any other stuff sack during the day. At night, you turn the sack inside out — and voila, a nice, comfy fleece pillow case.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

One option is to use a sleeve of the insulating garment as the pillow case. Stuff the garment 'inside out' into one of the sleeves. This works pretty well with fleece. I haven't tried this with slicker fabrics which might not stay in place as well. Good luck!

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

generally am wearing all my clothing in the bag, so a pillow can't be made from clothing. a partially filled (so a head "pocket" forms – won't form if it's full of water), soft-sided water bladder/bottle covered with a bandana or separated from my scalp/hair (what hair???) by a wool beanie or balaclava suffices for a pillow. dual-use, no added weight in the kit.

i haven't had a leak. YET!!

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Stuff the garment 'inside out' into one of the sleeves.

I use a rock. But I make sure to pick a soft one :)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If I can't cut down a suitable redwood with my Swiss Army knife saw, I chase down a cougar and scratch it behind the ears until it starts purring and use the cat for my pillow.

Inflatables are pretty easy. Other than that it's extra clothing in some form. I have found that a pillow really makes a difference in how I sleep outdoors. The army surplus MASH pillows work great for me, but they are 6oz– DRAT!

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I just made a pillow case / stuff sack today from a soft t-shirt that no longer fits well. I will post pictures soon. It should be stuffed with my other clothes which I am not wearing, or even a partially-filled hydration bladder.

It was a little tougher to work with than the sil nylon, but it still got finished.

I agree, it'll be soft against the skin, and non-slippery (unlike nylon).

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Pillow Stuff Sack
    Here is what I came up with for a jerzee material stuff sack/pillow. I have my Mountain Hardware fleece inside it.

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Scott, I know you're looking for a pillow case; but the pillows that i have found worked for me are from http://www.snooztime.com. They make them in various sizes, and the fabric used is machine washable, as is the whole pillow. The pillow's shell is a blend of super stretch nylon and spandex; from which you could remove the polystrene beads, and then stuff it at night with whatever you're not wearing.

I use a small camo one in my hammock as it cradles the neck for proper support. It works even better on the ground, where I use the next larger size camo pillow. They come in tubular and flat shapes. I found my friend's niece loved the camo bear as a hiking companion and then was able to use it as a pillow once we camped. Now, for folks with kids along camping this camo teddy bear pillow could be the answer to keeping their kids' happy; and dual use as a pillow.

The fabric is very nice against the skin.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools