Topic

Tent seams

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tent seams

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Angela Alexander

@crayon

I have a few tents (store bought) that all LEAK! 2 are brand new- although not designed for lightweight backpacking- they were purchased as gifts for my kids.

Anyway- My husband wants to make our own tent for hiking (LW) and I know the kind of fabric we are going to use an everything – but how to you seal the seams? I own a manufacturing company and have lots of machines- but I work in cotton textiles- not nylon and not waterproofing items. So, the sewing part is not really the issue- the waterproofing of seams is!

TIA!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Are you using silnylon? Then you want to use silicone based sealant. McNett has a product. Or Permatex Flowable Sealant, Or silicone caulk thinned with mineral spirits maybe 5 or 10 : 1. Look at the label and make sure it says silicone

Or urethane? Then McNett Seam grip. Make sure label says polyurethane. After it's cured, don't let the stuff touch itself or you'll have a mess. Spread some powder over the surface. Talc works. I take wall board, scrape some off with knife creating powder, and spread it on surface. You don't want scented stuff, and I don't think corn startch works so good.

Or taped cuben? nothing

Actually, if your seams are fairly steep, you don't need to seal them. I never seal my seams and have never noticed any leakage. If the seam was on a flat section, then maybe seal it. But, most people seal there seams anyway which doesn't hurt – slight extra weight and extra time to seal it and wait for it to cure.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools