Topic

Bag Liners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bag Liners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Can anyone offer perspective or opinion on using silk or other light weight bag liners with light weight down bags?

My assumption that keeping the inside of the bag cleaner (especially any deet remnants) is a great benefit. I wonder if I would end up getting tangled up during the night?

Any ultralight options ready made on the market? I don't think I would want to carry more than 3 to 4 ounces.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Scott:

This one definitely falls under "personal preference".

I first started with a lightweight silk liner. While I never actually got "tangled" inside the liner, I still disliked the "bag in a bag" feel. Worse, I am one of those who always have to get up "a few times" in the middle of the night — and the liner represented yet another layer that I needed to get into and out of — each time.

After a few minor struggles with the liner concept, I switched to wearing silk long johns and a thin pair of liner socks. I feel much less "engulfed" and restricted, and will never go back to a liner again.

But of course, plenty of people use liners and are happy with them. So, the overused cliche still applies: YMMV.

Matthew Swierkowski

@berserker

Locale: Southeast

I use a silk liner primarily to keep my bags clean, and to be honest I don't find the liner that comfortable. It makes getting into the bag more difficult, and I tend to get a little tangled up since I toss and turn a lot when I sleep. I also get up at least once in the night, and the liner makes getting in and out of the bag that much more difficult. Furthermore, I usually sleep in my clothes so it is probably overkill as my clothes will keep stuff off of the bag.

At any rate with all that said it is still a decent lightweight option compared to just about anything else I can think of. I have a Jagbag lightweight silk mummy liner, and it weighs right at 5 oz.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I agree with Ben on this one and agree with you that keeping your bag clean is important. At home I sleep in an REI silk top and bottom to protect the bedding from body oils. I would do the same to protect my quilt or bag but it is usually cold enough that I wear my wool base layers for this. That, by the way, is another reason why I like the anti-stink properties of wool. It helps keeps the stink out of my quilt/bag as well. I think a bag liner is too single use. One benefit to a liner is that you are unlikely to soak it like you could your base layers. Another benefit is that it could boost the warmth of a bag that needs it but I think achieving this with your clothing is a better option.

John Hopkins

@drgonzo

Locale: Southeast

I wear a base layer to bed (including liner socks and gloves), making the sleep sack unneccesary. The one time I have used it I really disliked having to wiggle into the sack inside of my bag, then wiggle into the bag. All while in a hammock might I add. Another reason I like wearing clothes is you dont freeze so much when you have to pee in the middle of the night.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools