Topic

Serious problem with “Another Fork in the Trail”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Serious problem with “Another Fork in the Trail”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

I collect cookbooks, and have all the backpacking cookbooks I can find, either in print, or available for a reasonable price out of print. I also love to cook, so I have had lots of opportunity to try the recipes in these books. We have recently been making quite a few recipes from "Another Fork in the Trail", a vegetarian and vegan cookbook by Laurie Ann March. This is a follow on to the excellent "Fork in the Trail". We've made recipes like the Goji Berry Agave Granola, the Jicama, Savoy Cabbage and Mango Slaw, Harvest Apple Granola, some soups, dips and main courses. I've had a few of these out on the trail, but I find that these recipes are so tasty that they are often eaten before they can be sent out on the trail. These are not just acceptably flavored dishes, these are the kinds of dishes you would find in a nice restaurant, or if you were trying to make something special at home. They are far and away better than many of the dishes hikers are often subjected to; there are subtle and well thought out flavor combinations, novel approaches to everyday foods, and nutritionally well-balanced foods. My most serious problem with this book is that I want to eat these foods as I make them (as do those around me who smell and see them). I'll need to be doubling many of the recipes in order to have enough to actually get some out of the house; these recipes are just too tasty and easy to make. You should also note that on-the-trail preparation of most of these foods is quite straight forward, but sometimes a bit more than just add hot water; be careful that those around you do not get jealous as they smell and see these preparations! I highly recommend both of Laurie's books for an exciting and satisfying outdoor (and indoor) eating experience. Excse me now while I go decide if I want the Late Harvest Soup with Saffron, the Tofu jerky, or the Cherry and Almond Energy bars.
    Jim

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

A serious evaluation for a wonderful book by a great cook and good friend. I was worried there when I first saw the thread title. I'm sure Laurie will be very pleased. (^J^)/"

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

"… I find that these recipes are so tasty that they are often eaten before they can be sent out on the trail."

About the best compliment anyone could pay to a cookbook author!

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A backpacking book that features vegan recipes? Sign me up. I just bought the book. Can't wait to give some of the recipes a go. I am very much looking forward to the work.

Dirk

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Thank you so much for the wonderful review of the book (even if you scared the shiitakes out of me – I know bad food pun). Okay… picture this…

I'm sitting at my desk working on my third cookbook (which I officially signed the deal for on Thursday evening) and I decide to take a break and come over to BPL. I see the title and I think "Oh man… what did I screw up? Was there a misprint like in the first book (40 pages were doubled up on and another 40 missing – only happened to a few books and they were recalled). I know each recipe was triple-tested. Could I have missed an ingredient? No, I triple checked. Bryan checked. My publisher checked. The editor checked. Friends checked. Okay. Suck it up buttercup… just click the link! You can deal with whatever issue it is." This was followed with such a loud sigh that my son came out of his room and asked, "Are you okay Mom?" When I told him what happened he laughed pretty heartily. Little brat.

I'm really happy you like it. My biggest issue here was keeping the guys out of the food so I could test it in the backcountry. They were relentless eating machines.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Nice review!

I saw the title and went hmmm…..

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

… and my husband, who was standing in line at the Vancouver airport when I called to tell him what happened, just about died laughing at my reaction.

Mark Blanchfield

@red_dog

Locale: Sonoran

I know what you mean.

I'm lucky if I can get even half of the Spinach Quinoa soup from "Fork" into the dehydrator.

Hi Laurie !

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Hi Mark!

Thanks.

Two books, a ton of articles and the start of a third book… and that soup is still my hubby's favorite. I always have to double batch that one. I once caught him about to rehydrate some I had dried and hidden in the freezer. Sneaky.

Edited to add… if you want to see Mark's photos of the whole process, they are here…

Reader Photos of Quinoa & Spinach Soup

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools