Topic

Seeking small, light, compressable backpack for (primarily) urban use.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seeking small, light, compressable backpack for (primarily) urban use.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    E.L. Boston

@el_jefe

Locale: The Pacific Northwest

I need a backpack that is lightweight, and stuffs into its own pocket when not in use — the smaller, the better. Though I intend to use this pack primarily for use about town, it would be nice (though totally unnecessary) bonus if said pack was suitable for one-night UL trips into the bush.

I've found a few that look interesting [like the Patagonia Lightweight Travel pack — but, ouch, $80?!], but I thought I'd avail myself of the community's experience to avoid a regrettable purchase

Thanks!

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Marmot Kompressor is $45, GossamerGear Minimalist is on sale right now for $60, or if you really want minimalist, a GG Riksak is only $30.

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

How about this – http://www.outdoorproducts.com/Products/packable-day-pack/165

You can find these at Wally World or at a local outfitter.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

Patagucci travel pack at 6pm.com for 45
    http://www.6pm.com/product/7714995/color/317573

What about the Sea-to-Summit ultrasil?
    http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86

Julian Bender
    Spectator

@jbphilly

I have the REI Flash 18 and it's pretty great for day hikes, although the waist/chest straps are more annoying if you're wearing it around town. It could easily be used for a summer overnighter as well, assuming you find get water on-trail or at camp. Weighs 10oz including a small sit pad that forms the back of the pack when stuffed in.

Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

Take a look at the Mountainsmith Scream 25. Pretty much would do everything you are looking for. $48.96 at ebags is a great deal. Also stuffs into its own pocket.

http://www.ebags.com/product/mountainsmith/scream-25/228611?productid=10173468

Dale Wambaugh did a very nice review here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60898

TJ Christopher
    BPL Member

@compel

I think of this as the urban version of the Flash 18.
    Advantages for urban use (IMO):
    + I'm more likely to carry a watter bottle in town, there's no hydration sleeve but two external mesh pockets for water bottles
    + Lid style top with zipper pocket means you can store small stuff in the lid and get to it without getting into the main compartment which is more sealed off.
    + No sternum or waist strap hanging about.

Cheap at $30, 22L capacity, packs into it's lid pocket, weighs 10oz on my scale.

http://www.rei.com/product/809163/rei-stuff-travel-pack

Julian Bender
    Spectator

@jbphilly

TJ has a better suggestion than mine for urban use. The Flash is great for hiking, but I forgot to mention there's no side pockets for water bottles, which alone makes it not as great for non-hiking uses. They weigh and cost about the same.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW
    Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Actually patagonia has sevral LW packs in it's line at varying price points. Also, the initial price may be steep, but they are really high quality and last a long time. Oh, and their 50% off sale atarts July 18th, so you may find a deal for the pack you want.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Ignore this suggestion if you are looking for an everyday beater pack.

But if you want a SUL standby in your pocket for the trip home from the store or the occasional overflow of gym clothes:

Sea-to-summit's silnylon pack is 2.4 ounces. I used it on Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim in April and I travel on plane trips with it as an overflow / mission-creep bag. About $24 on eBay or at REI. It packs down to the size of a small lime but weighs less.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

If you want a pack that is tough and tear resistant and holds a lot and packs in it own lid you can't beat the Arc'teryx Cierzo 35. I owned one for a few week and took it back to sport chalet could not fit all my back country gear in it. But it carries 2 grocery bags in it packs down small when not needed. Arc'teryx also makes Cierzo 25 pack.
    Terry
    http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Packs/Cierzo-35#

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California
    TJ Christopher
    BPL Member

@compel

Departmentofgoods.Com has the pack referenced by the OP for $55.30, and I just happened to see it's shown up on steepandcheap a couple times recently for $40. Setup an alert on SACAlerts.com because it might show up again.

For anyone not aware:
    Departmentofgoods.Com is backcountry.com's outlet/clearance Site.
    Steepandcheap.Com is backcountry.com's one at a time deal site for blowing out inventory.
    SACAlerts.com is a third party site that let's you setup email or text alerts for stuff on steepandcheap.

Glidon Cage

@glidoncage

Locale: Santa monica bay

Try Bergman Luggage online luggage store. They have great range of backpacks for selection. Also, they are running sale at their store which offers huge discounts on well known brands. Recently, I purchased day pack which has 1.1 lbs with 2 year warranty and the price is very low as compared to other online stores. Do check out their store for more details about collection and sale.

Troy Hawkins
    BPL Member

@ollyisk

Locale: Germany

The Sea-to-Summit sil pack is great. I carry one around with me for day trips. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it works well for what it is and it packs ridiculously small.

If you want something a little bigger/more robust, the Zpacks Zero might be nice for you. Simple sack, but it's mostly waterproof and extremely light.

YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

I too was looking for something similar.
    (I am looking to lighten the bag I carry every day to work but just cant feel comfortable beating up a SUL bag on the metro)

Some bags that might be of interest:

like TJ said, REI Flash (18L @ $30)
    EMS Packable Pack (20L @ $40)
    and as Terry mentioned the Cierzo line is nice.

I have the 18 and at $60 is doubles as my leader pack. Maybe that fits your needs.

c18

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I got one on clearance for $25, I know they show up that low every few months as they rotate colors. My old daypack was super heavy so this has been just the ticket.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I will +1 on the sea to summit 2.4 ounce one if you want a pack to stow away in a pocket and use once in a while. If you need something more substantial but that doesn't pack as small, the REI Flash 18 is nice (12 ounces) and still packs pretty small. I have not seen the new Flash 22 yet, but it might also be an option.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

MEC has there travel light top loader. The foam back panel is removabe then it folds up into itself. Great deal compared to the patagonia.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/ClearanceItems/PRD~5023-571/mec-travel-light-top-loader.jsp

Randy Thornton
    Spectator

@ochocoman

Locale: Wet side of the Cascades

+1 on the REI Travel Stuff pack. I've used it for couple years for in-town bike commuting and for day hikes. It also goes with me packed up into itself on business trips where I might get in some local hiking.

Doesn't pack nearly as small as the Sea-to-Summit, but it's not fragile either. Sheds water pretty well; fabric is tough enough for city use.

Not so sure it could overnight, though, it's only 22L. In warm and dry weather perhaps.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 to the LL bean travel pack. Eddie Bauer also has their Rip Pac packable pack that is a little more full featured, but heavier and larger when folded into itself.

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

The Patagonia Lightweight Travel Pack was on SAC yesterday for $30. It likely will appear there again.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools