Topic

pillow slips…has anyone velcroed the pillow to the pad?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) pillow slips…has anyone velcroed the pillow to the pad?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    BPL Member

@drshane-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Northwest Wyoming

I have an Exped pillow and an inflatable pad (Kookabay) and I sleep in a quilt. When I move around at night, the pillow invariably slips off the pad. I am thinking of glueing strips of velcro to the pad and pillow. Has anyone done this already?

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

I did this with my neoair and a small down pillow from GooseFeet. The sticky velcro stuck really well to my neoair but not as well to the pillow since it's fabric. It still works well enough to keep it from slipping at night though.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I have done the velcro thing with a Big Agnes IAC and a Montbel pillow. It worked well. Currently I am using a very thin diameter length of shock cord with my pillow and am looping it under my Exped Downmat UL7. I have little hooks on each side that I hook into the holes on the corners of the Exped. I like this method better than the velcro since I don'e have to glue anyting on the pad.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF
    Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

that 3rd option is most ingenious. well done sir!

Mark
    BPL Member

…my Exped pillow doesn't have those nice corner attachment points

Mark
    BPL Member

Ben…how much velcro did you need to make it work? I am guessing it would only take a inch square on the 4 corners of the pillow to hold during the night. What was your experience?

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

mark, I added a piece of Tenacious tape to each of my lower corners and punched a hole to make tabs on my exped pillow. just be careful to have enough tape off the pillow so you have enough space for the hole.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Mark
    I used 2 strips about 3-4 inches when I did the velcro.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Ben, where did you find hooks that would attach to tiny shock cord? I've been looking for some, and haven't been able to find anything that works with smaller than 1/4" diameter.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Diane
    I just had them lying around. They are ITW brand I think.

Send me a PM if you want a couple.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I glued velcro to my pad and sewed it to the clothing stuffsack I use for a pillow. I sewed some pieces of grosgrain ribbon to the sack and sewed the velcro to that so that the velcro is on the underside of the pad and my weight helps keep it stuck together. Used Seam Grip as the adhesive – sticks very well to nylon fabric.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools