Topic

Nano Puff or FA Serrano?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nano Puff or FA Serrano?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kevin J

@kevinj

I have been looking at purchasing a Nano Puff jacket, but saw that Eddie Bauer has the FA Serrano on clearance right now. I've not seen either jacket in person and nobody around has them in stock this time of year. Any input on why a person might choose one over the other? Not thinking it would be used during higher exertion activities in the cold so the Power Stretch sides may not be much of a benefit; could they actually be a detriment? The sale price on the Serrano makes it attractive, but I'd rather poney up and buy once if the Nano is the better option.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

the side panels on the serano are to cool you off when active and cranking. if you just want something for in camp to stay warm, id take the nano as it is completely wind proof and insulated on 100% of the garment. you will not get chilled on the sides when the wind blows (as you would in the serano).

Julian Bender
    Spectator

@jbphilly

I was looking at getting the Nano Puff. As a general jacket it seems pretty good but I was just wondering just how warm it is. In a month and half (mid-late August) I'm going to be in the Beartooth Mountains for 5 days and temperatures may go down as low as 20, so I want to be prepared. Anybody have experience with the Nano Puff in low temperatures like that – would it be enough by itself, or would I need extra layers? Or is there a better jacket for this (i.e. mostly around camp at night, rather than moving)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

most of these 60g/m primaloft jackets start feeling chilly below 40F or so IMO …. step up to something with at least double the insulation or 5+ oz of quality down for down to 20F … or layer a lighter down puffy underneath it

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Julian- 20 would be unusual in August in the Beartooths (possible, but very unlikely), I would be prepared for temps approaching freezing though. If you spend a fair bit of time hanging around camp at night it might be worth looking at one of the lighter down jackets available. If you hike late and only hanging around camp for a short time before turning in, I think the Nano would be sufficient (this is assuming you have a ls base top and a wind and/or rain shell that can go over in a pinch as well).

Also depends if you trend more towards running cold or hot, if you trend more on the cold side then a light down will clearly be a safer bet.

I spend a fair bit of time in the Beartooths and I'm comfortable w/ the Nano- I run on the warmer side however.

Mike

Julian Bender
    Spectator

@jbphilly

What would be some down jackets you might recommend for around freezing? Of course, for sitting in camp I can always drape a sleeping bag/liner over me, but that's not so convenient for moving around.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

My 2 cents for high-altitude areas in summer where it "can get down to freezing." My experience is that the coldest temps happen early in the morning, just before sunrise, when I'm *smart* enough to still be in my sleeping bag. :) Evening temps, I've found, are maybe 5-10 degrees warmer.

I'm comfortable sitting around in my Nano Puff to maybe 45*. At 40*, I want to be moving around or have a solid layer underneath. Some of this depends on what I've got on my legs and it really helps if my feet are warm and I have a hat. I have a Montbell UL Down Inner and it's comparable to the Nano Puff for warmth. I think experiences will also vary slightly depending on how the jacket fits.

So, for that high-altitude summer trip, I take either my NanoPuff or Montbell Inner plus a WPB shell and I'm good. I will also have a midweight long-sleeve baselayer for sleeping that I can wear underneath in the evening. If it gets unexpectedly cold, I just slip into my sleeping bag. Not a big deal.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Julian- the ones I have experience and would recommend are the MB ExLight and UL jackets (or parka in the UL- you get a hood which can sometimes be handy), I also had a Patagonia down sweater- I liked it and it was well constructed, but I shaved some weight w/ the MB offerings

there are several other light down jackets that might be worth peeking at, but those are the ones I have first hand experience w/

Mike

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Nano Puff is a bit lighter by almost 2oz and I think the Nano Puff has better attention to detail. One area that FA seems to short change is the zipper. Having said that, they have the same amount of Primaloft in them and it's hard to argue when you can get the Serrano that much cheaper.

The power stretch panels are not just for breathability, they are definitely for added mobility and in my opinion make the Serrano a bit more versatile.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I live in my Atom LT when I'm in the mountains. It's similar to the Serrano with the breathable panels, making it a decent WORN insulation piece, without sacrificing much insulation while at rest.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Primaloft is the ticket here, get whatever is cheaper. I ordered a FA serrano.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools