Topic

General questions on backpacking Evolution Basin

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning General questions on backpacking Evolution Basin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kevin winn

@kevin314gmail-com

I plan on doing my first solo trip in the Sierra, starting at South lake on July 29 to Evolution Basin and coming out Piute Pass. I plan on hitching hiking back to the car at south lake.

Im in average shape, I was planning on doing the loop in 4 to 6 days.

I was thinking of doing some fishing, do all the lake in that region have fish? Plus I'm interested in a suggestion for a side trip or easy peak to climb in that area.

Also, has anyone done the trail recently? I guessing that the snow and river crossing aren't of any concern this year. What about mosquitoes?

Thanks suggestions,

Kevin Winn

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Yes evolution is loaded with fish, though they look to be small
    Yes, expect Mosquitos unless it is a exceptionally odd year
    Side trip to Darwin bench, great camp just as you get to the top
    No, snow will not be an issue, nor with the evolution creek crossing
    I would not expect someone in average shape to have trouble with that timing.

This is one of my favorite areas. There are some great protected campsites just to the north of the outlet in the small grove of trees. If you don't mind cross country, there are a couple of routes from Darwin bench that will take you back to the Piute Pass area.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I was thinking of doing some fishing, do all the lake in that region have fish? Plus I'm interested in a suggestion for a side trip or easy peak to climb in that area."

+1 to Greg's suggestion of Darwin Canyon. It is a beautiful area. If you decide to visit it and like to fish, bring your fishing gear. There are some really big Goldens in the lakes stung out along Darwin Canyon.

Have a great trip!

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

If you want to have some fun .. go up through Darwin's bench.. Keep going and come out Lamark Col.. Or Alpine Col..

kevin winn

@kevin314gmail-com

Cool thanks, guys. Ill make sure to check out Darwin Bench and those lakes up there.

Kevin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools