Topic

Mini bic & Light My Fire questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mini bic & Light My Fire questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Priming isn't always worth it. Without practice or putting the alcohol in a position where it can prime well, priming can use just as much alcohol as directly lighting the stove.

Priming is required with some stoves, like side burner stoves, if you want to light it with a pot sitting on it.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Priming isn't always worth it."

That's correct.

I find that it depends on the fuel temperature. On a cold morning with cold fuel, priming is more worthwhile. On a hot day with warm fuel, it is kind of unnecessary. But then, if it is already hot I probably wouldn't want to cook anything anyway. I've known some campers to sleep with the bottle of stove alcohol inside their sleeping bag in order to pre-warm it before breakfast.

–B.G.–

Eileen Duncan
    BPL Member

@eileensd

Locale: The Sierra or the SF Bay Area

"You may be missing the point about priming."

I think you are correct, Bob. I understood a primer pan aided the ease of lighting the main load of fuel by warming it, but I didn't know this benefit extended throughout the full burn time. In what ways does the alcohol "burn better"? Also, my primer pan is separate from the stove itself, so I'm not sure about ripping out the bottom of the burner. Are some primer pans attached?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yes, some alcohol burners have the primer pan attached, and on others it is separate. In some cases it makes a broader platform for the burner.

I've watched my own burners, and when the fuel is cold, it goes something like this: You ignite the main load of fuel, but it barely burns for a short time. The vapor is lit, but there isn't much happening. Then after 30 seconds or so, it starts to pick up a bit. Then a little more. It takes the darned thing maybe a minute or two just to get the burner going to what I call a normal flame. Then it does the normal boiling job, and then it runs out of fuel.

Alternatively, if I prime it with a very small dose of alcohol, only that primer burns first, and it seems to warm up the main load. Then I ignite the main load, and it seems to get to normal boiling very fast. I don't see that there is much difference in total fuel used, but the time is better.

–B.G.–

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools