Topic

Honeymoon on North Rim- Yosemite in September, water conditions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Honeymoon on North Rim- Yosemite in September, water conditions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ashley Corrigan

@corriganashley

My husband and I would like to backpack the North Rim of Yosemite for our honeymoon. We would be taking this trip the first week of September 2012. Our current route includes the North Rim to Tenaya Lake, looping the valley to Cloudsrest, and then descending to the valley via the Half Dome route (Little Yosemite Valley).

We have only been backpacking in Yosemite in July when water was never an issue. Does anyone have experience backpacking in Yosemite in September? Is Yosemite Falls dry in September? Our snowpack this previous winter was meager, to say the least, so I am expecting some pretty dry conditions this September. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ashley

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I did the North Rim 2 years ago in Sept. Yosemite falls was NOT dry at all. It was quite spectacular actually. But this year it may be different with the light snow.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It will get pretty dry around Clouds Rest in that season. In September, Yosemite Creek gets fairly dry and is reduced to a trickle. It is not obvious where you intend to start on the North Rim. The major streams will be a trickle and the minor streams will disappear. Even any standing water can be used, but you will want to filter it a lot.

I've used water from Ribbon Creek when there was no flow.

–B.G.–

Ashley Corrigan

@corriganashley

We will be starting from Tamarack Flat. I have read mixed reviews about starting from Bog Oak Flat Road (rockslide was difficult to scramble with packs on, etc.).

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yes, Tamarack Flat is the best place, and I've started there about twenty times. The road was closed one year, so I had to start over at Big Oak Flat Road (the highway), and it was longer with more uphill, so I don't recommend that one. The rockslide is actually below El Capitan, on the way from the valley up to the Old Big Oak Flat Road (now an old fire road).

The place to camp first is about 200 yards after crossing Ribbon Creek, while you are still within walking range of the water there. Unfortunately, the best time to go is about July 1 for the wildflowers.

Hey, if you two can survive that trip, then marriage will be easy.

–B.G.–

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools