Topic

Evernew 0.9L Titanium Pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Evernew 0.9L Titanium Pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

The Evernew 0.9L titanium pot weighs just 2.12 ounces sans lid and handles. I just found my new solo winter and traveling w/ the wife pot. The handles are easily removeable without damage. The lid is quite heavy for SUL trips so I'll use foil like I do now anyway. It fits nice though if you do want to keep it. The base is also nice and wide keeping the flames from being wasted up the side of the pot and there are volume graduations on the inside. I am tempted to add a ti spoke/rod bail though…

Not a bad birthday present from the sister in law :)

Trent Hignight

@th_ignitus

Locale: Tokoyo-3

Christopher,
    I also have this pot. How did you remove the handles? Whats the SUL method for lifting your pot on and off the stove, or handling it in general, with no more handles and no bail?
    Cool pot…I like mine.
    -Trent

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

I think you can just spread the handles apart to remove.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Well I always have gloves with a leather palm and fingers (I'm a SUL mtn biker more than a hiker) so it's never been a problem just using my gloved hands. I probably will add a bail to make everything a bit easier to use but one with a ti spoke adds a pretty small amount of weight. The handles just pull right out of their "holder". Just pull gently or you'll have to bend them back together again when you put them back in. I already put them back on for storage anyway.

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

Locale: Sunshine State

wow, I feel like an idiot. I was looking at the BPL handless pot b/c I though I would ruin my .9L Evernew if I tried to take the handles off. You guys are a huge help. I just pulled mine off in less tahn a second. My scale register 2.0 oz w/o lid or handles. Thanks

Scott White

@sdwhitey

Locale: Smoky Mountains

I have been thinking about using the Snow Peak Titanium Bowl as an UL solo cook pot. Its weight is 1.6 oz and it has a 2.5 cup/20 oz capacity. It costs only $14 at rei. So, it is significantly cheaper and slightly lighter than the the Evernew .9L pot and the BPL Firelite 500-SUL pot. 2.5 cups is certainly enough capacity for my typical boil in a bag meals.

I would have to add a foil lid. I would just use my wool gloves to handle it. I guess the bottom of the bowl has a smaller surface area which is probably a disadvantage when boiling water. But, I plan to try it with a homemade woodburning stove so Im not too concerned about fuel efficiency.

Does anybody know of any big disadvantage to using the Snow Peak Titanium Bowl as an UL cook pot? Other than the beer can pots, it seems to be the best value out there by far.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Other than the beer can pots, it seems to be the best value out there by far.

I can't think of any reason to not use the Snow Peak Titanium Bowl as a cook pot as long as the bowl base fits well in your pot stand. But for value (excepting the beer cans) it's hard to beat the Mirro 1-quart Grease Pot (pot only: 2.5 oz) available at WalMart for about $6. I've used mine quite a bit and it is holding up well. The bottom is 5.5" in diameter for good heat transfer with alcohol stoves.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

A few years ago I tried using the snow peak bowl as a cook pot. My memory is that it worked… but it took around 10% more fuel than the antigravitygear 3 cup pot, and close to 35% more fuel than my evernew .9l (with sgt rock's ion stove). I also found that the curved edges made it a bit more challenges to stay on the pot rest and not slide off.

–Mark

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

In my rather subjective and variable use of all three of these items (aluminum Evernew though..), I found that a tight fitting lid is very important in reducing fuel use and boil times (while holding other factors constant). A foil lid is not durable and does not fit tightly. Also, a foil bowl lid is only a lid/or windscreen, whereas the lid from the Snowpeak Trek 900 serves as a lid, deep frypan, eating bowl, drinking cup, pot base, and inverted on top of the pot it can warm a second item using the excess heat. The Trek 900 is the most versitile per unit weight in my usage and opinion.
    If you only use a pot to boil water for breakfast and dinner though, maybe the bowl is sufficient for you.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Any suggestions as to how to safely take the handle off a Snowpeak 900mL pot? The handles themselves come off easy enough but the little tab that hold them in place is quite the bear. I believe the welds to be stronger than the titanium itself so trying to break them could prove damaging to the pot.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Sam, there was a post about this some time ago. I think it was Jhaura who removed the welded on piece and also trimmed a little off the top of the pot. I'm going by memory here and could be wrong. As I recall, a Dremel tool was used to grind down the spot welds until the metal was weak enough to be pulled free. I think you are right about the strength of the welds. Using brute force will damage the pot.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Eric, thank you for the reply. I did some searching but maybe not to the depth necessary. I could always e-mail Jhuara directly as well if need be.

I'll be visiting my parent's home this weekend and my dad has a nice workshop (unlike me who lives in a 500 sq. ft apartment – ultralight to the core!). I can play around a dremel and see if I can't remove those welds. Taking some of the top of the pot isn't a bad idea either.

I'm using the 900mL pot because it fits my Bushbuddy nicely in terms of width. The depth however has some leeway so removal of some of the top material followed by a polite rounding out of the lip would make for a sub-two ounce pot.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Sam, I found the thread and it was Jhuara who started it. I had to laugh, you participated in the discussion as well. Not laughing at you, my memory can be very spotty as well.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Thanks for posting the thread, Eric. And yes we should both have a laugh since we post participated! A couple months ago I counted up all the posts I'd made to the various Forums I'm a member of and the number was well over 5,000 so I suppose I can cut myself some slack in not remembering ; )

Brett .

@brett1234

The handle comes on and off in a second. Why would you want to remove the little handle bracket? You would loose the capability to put the handle back on.
    Being that concerned about weight still surprises me, even though this is BPL.. wow.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

> Being that concerned about weight still surprises me

Those are almost fightin' words on BPL. ; )

The reason I want to remove the handle altogether is because I am THAT concerned about weight. I pore over my gear spreadsheet at least once a day considering where weight could come off this item or that.

I remove tags from clothing, cut zipper handles shorter, shorten drawcords and pack straps and of course who could call themselves an ultralighter without the shortened-handled toothbrush.

In all honesty I don't need a handle on this pot. I always carry wool gloves when I backpack and they serve wonderfully in lifting a warm pot. There are also great suggestions here on BPL for addition of a simple wire bail to use as a handle that would weigh only grams compared to the 900's stock handle which weighs nearly ounces.

So, short answer to why I do it? Because that's my passion.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

The Caldera Cone has cut-outs for the handles. I've taken the handles off the pot but always need to know where the "brackets" are when I put the pot on the "cone" If I remove the brackets, as shown in Jhaura's post, I can put the pot on the stove any old way and not worry about upsetting the whole thing. Also, using the alumimum sheets I picked up at the salvage yard, I can probably form up a knock-off of the cone with no cut-out. Besides, I need more projects to keep me from getting burried in my taxes.

Jhuaura's lid is cool too. Maybe that aluminum is soft enough to make one.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

You bring a toothbrush Sam?! And you call yourself ultralight? :P

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

> Toothbrush

I know, I know, I know. I am a failure to the movement. Ha!

In keeping with the tendancy of this thread which should probably now be in the MYOG section, here's a link to another thread for building a simple bail for a pot from a titanium bicycle spoke. Simple, efficient and very, very light.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

My Jhaura inspired toothbrush is so light it doesn't even register on my scale. Thank you Jhaura!

p.s. Sorry for the thread drift!

John Hopkins

@drgonzo

Locale: Southeast

I found the SP Mini Solo set on sale and picked it up. The only problem I have with it is how small in dia. the bottom is. It wont fit on my Vargo alchy stove and I am wondering how much heat is going up the sides. What are your thoughts on the Solo set?

barry hitchcock

@barryspoons

sp solo works well for me on brasslite with simmer ring keeping flame small—(sorry forget brasslite model name) also works well with optimus crux, 3/4? power keeps flames on bottom

Chris Conway

@lntpunk

Locale: Midwest

The 0.9L Evernew is on my wishlist and I would like it soon but I just know when I get it BPL will roll out the 1 liter titanium pot just to spite me.

I can't find the post but I remember early spring as the target date. Any insiders have any info in that department??

Brett .

@brett1234

I posted this as a review, but thought it also relevant to this thread. Copied here..

Using a Caldera cone is a convenient way to integrate a pot holder with a windscreen when using an alcohol burner. Now that I have these, I doubt I will ever cook over alcohol without it again.

Previous to getting my caldera cones, heating water with alcohol was inconvenient and wasteful for me. There were too many components, and too much heat loss with my amateurish windscreens. None of the common windscreen designes using mesh, wires, bicycle spokes, tent stakes, etc appealed to my asthetics. Setup and takedown was also not comparable to the convenience of my jetboil; the industry standard in 'human factors engineering' for stoves, IMO.

Now that I own a caldera, I can actually consider using alcohol again. I have only three stove components, my pot, the caldera cone, and an alcohol burner of my choice. Not a bunch of fragile screens, holders, wire mesh supports, grips, etc..

Regarding choice of burner, my first choice is to reach for my Trangia because of its bombproof durability, but if you are more careful than I; the TD included stove is probably just as efficient, and much lighter.

Setup with the Caldera literally takes seconds, just like with a Jetboil. You curve the stove, insert the tabs, light your burner, then drop the Caldera and pot on top. 5 minutes later 600ml of water is boiling. It is probably obvious by looking at it, but the design of the cone traps the hot air as it chimneys up the bottom and sides of the pot, transferring more heat to that pot than an open-top windscreen could do.

I am sort of ashamed to admit this, but another reason I like the Caldera is that it doesn't look like I made it from kitchen aluminum foil and old beer cans. I know, MYOG gurus would get upset at that comment, but I mean no offense. With the pot in place and steam rising out, it looks like a well engineered and precicely manufactured industrial product- which it is, just made in small quantities.

I bought Caldera cones sized for the Snowpeak 600 and 1400ml pots. At that time there was no cone for my SP 900ml, but word is they will soon offer one. That would be the optimum size for preparing water for one meal and one drink for a solo hiker, or two meals for a couple. I intend on buying the 900ml version as soon as it is ready. They might have a cone for your favorite pot, email them to find out.

There is no end user support needed once the product is bought, but I'm on a first name basis with Russ and George due to the friendly and timely replies to my ignorant beginner-type questions and comments. These guys they really want to hear feedback, and improve these products, even though it is not their full time job. For example, they are working on an improved tab system to join the edges of the cones.

Bottom line.. The Caldera cone makes alcohol cooking convenient, efficient, and dare I say, attractive. I doubt I will ever use an alcohol stove without a cone again. Buy one for your favorite pot; you will be glad you did.
    http://www.traildesigns.com/products01.html

Brett .

@brett1234

John, Hi, I read your review of the caldera and thought I would pass on this storage solution (I own two of these). Instead of rolling it and trying to secure it rolled, open it flat and slide it into your pack in the hydration sleeve, or against the inside back or sit pad virtual frame if you use one. Takes almost no room this way.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools