Topic

All round list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists All round list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bill Mason

@billiii

General 3 season regular use list for tempertures 0 to 30C as it doesn't get hotter than that here (30-86F). Plenty proper rain and wind.

I have not yet bought some of these items (marked by *) so weights are as stated online.

Pack – Osprey Hornet 32 – (586g/20oz)

Shelter – Rab eVent Bivi (496g/17oz)

Sleeping bag – Snugpak Travelpak Extreme -3 in stuff sack (1150g/49oz)

Sleeping mat (165g/6oz)

Waterproofs – Montane Minimus Jacket (200g/7oz)*

GPS/Compass/Maps (250g/9oz)
    Knife (135g/5oz)
    First Aid (160g/6oz)
    Soap/toothpaste/washing up/laundry (50g/2oz)
    Dish cloth (37g/1oz)
    Toothbrush (10g/.5oz)
    Spork (10g/.5oz)

Buff (36g/1oz)
    Socks (70g/2oz)
    Long sleeve shirt (95g/3oz)
    Underwear (72g/3oz)

1l Water bottle (23g/1oz)
    Trowl (54g/2oz)
    Petzl e+Lite (27g/1oz)
    1.5l bottle (39g/1oz)

Pockets:

Zippo lighter (54g/2oz)
    Swiss army (60g/2oz)
    Keys (60g/2oz)

Worn:

Montane Terra Trouser/Pants (320g/11oz) *
    Montane Prism Insulated Jacket (420g/15oz) *
    Buff (36g/1oz)
    Baselayers (300g)
    Inov8 running boot (312g/11oz)

Generally wont be carrying this:
    Cooking

Evernew ECA-522 Titanium (116g/4oz)
    Pot cosy (42g/1oz)
    Stove – Pocket rocket (73g/5oz) + 100g Gas

The G to oz calculation is rounding to nearest oz final weight is an exact conversion.

Total: 3665g / 129.2oz / 8.07 lbs
    + pockets = 3839g / 135.4oz / 8.46 lbs
    + cooking (391 – probably inaccurate not weighed) = 4230g / 149.2oz / 9.32 lbs

Currently I'm about 2000g over this weight on jackets and trousers.

Happy to consider alternatives to anything, especially items not yet purchased. Montane seem pretty good on weight to performance but no actual experience of any of their gear. Many reviews read.

I'm considering buying either a neoair xtherm or xlite leaning toward the xtherm which would obviously add some weight but seems worth it for warmth (430g/15oz)

I don't really carry cooking equipment, eating raw ready made food or making a small fire where acceptable. I could cut down food weight by eating dehydrated stuff, for more than a few days away from civilisation I might do this. Most places I can easily replenish food every 3 days.

Notes:
    I don't have water purification added in as I haven't made up my mind. I have used the tablets before but don't like all the chemicals so was thinking of UV. The water here is generally safe. (Steripen is 103g/3.6oz)

If I buy a tarp it seems my weight will go up so much I may as well have a tent. If traveling with someone else I would take a tarp and split the weight. I can usually find some kind of natural shelter.

Synthetic sleeping bag is necessary after bad experiences with down. I realise this is by far my heaviest item.

Charles Schaefer

@armchairracer

Locale: Utah

I'd look at replacing your sleeping bag with an Enlightened Equipment Prodigy quilt, it uses synthetic insulation and would probably cut a pound and a half off your weight.
    http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy.html
    5 0z also seems heavy for a knife, I bet you could get by with something significantly smaller.

Bill Mason

@billiii

I'm definitely going to consider that quilt. I've never tried one so I'm not sure if it will suit the bivi but it would bring the weight down significantly to 22.5oz / 637 grams for the 25f/-3c version. Almost half the weight of the bag. Only thing is it costs considerably more than my £30/$50 bag.

The knife is heavy but light compared with similar fixed blades. It's a mora robust. I don't always take it, only in the wilderness and have it clipped to my belt so it's not in the pack.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools