Topic

Suggestions for high calorie, low weight, lower carb meals

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Suggestions for high calorie, low weight, lower carb meals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

somewhat pricy, but I like adding salba seeds to many dishes. Gives a bit of a crunch. 1tbsp (12g) of them pack 4g fat, 4.5g of carb (4.1g of which is fiber), and 2.5g of protein. Hummus has much fat less carbs than pasta, instant potatoes, etc. We have also found mixing whey protein with a number of dishes goes well. Particularly fond on chocolate flavor mixed with plain oatmeal and with lentil based Dahl.

–mark

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I like Salba (it's a type of chia seed for those who don't know). It makes a terrific egg replacer, can be used to thicken soups, sprinkled on granola or oatmeal, in a pb wrap, is wonderful in lots of things even hummus and trail puddings. You can buy it as or grind it into flour as well. It can also be used with lime, something to sweeten and water (1 part Salba to 9 parts water) for a drink called Chia Fresca.

Because of the high fibre it will slow the release of any carbohydrate you have with it. The Tarahumara use it as a food source and they are some of the best runners in the world.

If you aren't used to chia it can… how shall I put this delicately… move you.

Edited to add… it's also one of the few plant sources of complete protein.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools