Topic

Army:”Micropur and Sweetwater best”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Army:”Micropur and Sweetwater best”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Great system, David!

Some people can't detect or don't mind the swimming pool taste of Micropur (or Aqua Mira). Others believe the chemicals actually improve water taste. But for those (like me) who can't stand the chemical taste — you can reverse the order by first treating the water, wait 15 minutes, then filter the treated water through any inline filter — such as the el cheapo Aqua Mira Frontier Pro.

Taste and gunk removal aside, one other major benefit of pairing chemicals and filter is the elimination of the long waiting period. It takes chlorine dioxide 15 minutes to kill/neutralize bacteria and viruses — regardless of water temperature. However, cold water requires longer treatment time to kill protozoa (e.g. crypto) — anywhere from 20 minutes to 4 hours if water if just above freezing!

With a filter, all you need is wait 15 minutes for the chemicals to kill off viruses and bacteria — and your filter can then block out the larger protozoa. NOTE that the Frontier Pro by itself is ineffective in delivering biologically safe water because the pore size is too big to block bacteria (never mind the even smaller viruses)!

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Lately I have just been using the Sweetwater purifier on its own. Is this useless for the particular purifier since the filtration is part of the two-step process?

I don't like to use a filter — too bulky and takes too long to gather water. Is there a best solution for those of us that do not filter our water? I'm about due up for some new purifier solution.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have to agre with Roger Caffin (for once).

The SteriPen is light, fast and, with CLEAR water, kills all pathogens.

When I have somewhat cloudy water I do the following treatment:

1. Pour raw water into my 1 liter bottle through a #2 coffee filter in a funnel.

2. Sterlize TWICE W/ the SteriPen

3. Pour the water into my hydration bag and drop in the correct number of Katadyn tablets then wait 45 minutes.

PROBLEM: Water suspect of chemical contamination REQUIRES carbon filtration. Nothing less will do.

Eric

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The Sweetwater purifying solution is meant to neutralize viruses — since they are way too small to be filtered out by MSR or most other filters. Since viruses are supposedly uncommon out in the wilds of Canada and the US (unless you filter at a pond frequented by many other hikers and/or animals) — a lot of people just use the pump filter and skip the chemical solution altogether.

As for the other two classes of baddies — bacteria and protozoa — I am unsure of the chemical's efficacy since MSR is silent about the chemical's make up. Maybe those who know can comment.

Finally, using only chemicals is of course completely useless in terms of removing particulates. If the water looks and tastes yucky, chemicals can make it biologically safe to drink — but it will still look and taste yucky.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Eric

> I have to agre with Roger Caffin (for once).
    Thank you! I am honoured.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools