Topic

Question for Gossamer Gear 2012 Pack Owners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Question for Gossamer Gear 2012 Pack Owners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I just bought a Gorilla (which I love) and just now got back from hiking for 2 days to complete my final 57 mile section of the New England Trail (fast, light, high mileage hike – pack had 6 lbs gear, and at most 8 lbs food and water). The new shiny webbing on the waist belt and shoulder straps kept slipping and loosening about every 20-30 minutes for the whole hike…….Is there a trick to keeping them snug that I'm overlooking, or should I pop off an email to GG about this problem ?

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I just used my 2012 Mariposa on the Mt. Whitney main trail and had no issues with the hip belt slipping at all. I was carrying 26 lbs.

Mike

Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

I used the gorilla 2k2 for over a 100 collective miles in Utah with no slipping issues.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I haven't had any problems with the 2012 Murmur. I have had it out several times, lightly loaded (8 pounds) and heavily loaded (24lbs.) Both the shoulde harnes and waist belt stayed put.

I would recommend you call GG when you get a chance. It could be a bad batch of buckles and they need to know.

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

I have noticed slipping with my 2012 Murmur hipbelt. Since it is removable, I'm probably going to try replacing it with standard webbing.

Heather Hohnholz
    BPL Member

@hawke

I had issues with the ends pulling through the buckles of my Murmur, but not slippage per se. I am thinking about putting different buckles on anyway, so to me it's not the big of a deal.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

I'll probably send off an email to GG. I love this bag, but actually noticed between 1-4 inches of slippage on the shoulder straps every half hour or so. I was hiking fast, and light so that may have contributed…but I thought fast and light was the point…..

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Fast and light IS the point. Yeah, send them an email.

Alejandro P
    BPL Member

@deskojockey

I just got back from doing 20 miles with the '12 Miraposa and had the same problem. The hipbelt would slip every 30mins or so. I'm slim with no hips at all. I was beginning to wonder if I should go down in hip belt size but I don't think that will solve the problem. I'm going to send them an email as well.

I just wanted to add that the Velcro stayed in place, it was just the pads themselves slipping down my hips. Other than this the bag was great and I hope I can find a way to solve the issue.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Sent it into GG almost 1 month ago with this problem and after about a dozen emails sent it too them — and they just emailed me back and said they hope to have it back to me soon…..1 month to get them to sew on new webbing due to the slippage in the pack –> which they claim "we could not reproduce the slippage you described"…. annoying to say the least. Hope to never have to send anything in to them again.

Mike H

@mikehaf

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with GG. I also noticed this problem with the hip belt, but returned a Miraposa 2012 for other reasons.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I have a twenty mile trip and three ten mile trips ony new-ish 2012 Mariposa, and have experienced now slipping at all on any strap. I was actually thinking of this thread last weekend as I hiked a very sweaty 11 miles at point Reyes. I also was going at it alone and did better than 3 miles / hour the whole time, still nothing.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Took Gossamer Gear about 1 month to finally get the pack back to me. They changed the webbing to slightly heavier webbing and I've not had any slippage since then (14 mile A.T training hike for the LT trip coming up in a few weeks). Webbing looks like it will be the job fine — looks cheaper / not as nice as the smooth webbing, but should function just fine. The wait time seemed a bit lengthy though.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I have a Kuma and I have to admit that I do remember some slippage. It seemed to be every 2 hours or so. I wasn't sure if it was me at first not tightening enough or it the pack was just slipping.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Just got back from a 65 mile trip in the Sierra. First time out for me with a 2012 Gorilla. My go to pack for the last few years has been a Mariposa Plus. This is the second trip on this pack as my sons girlfriend used it on the High Sierra Trail a few weeks ago. I did not hear any concerns from her, but, I did not specifically ask about slippage.

As for me, I had slipping on the shoulder straps. I would notice the pack pulling away a bit more from my body and could feel the sewn webbing had slipped all the way to the buckle. Fortunately, the webbing does not have a lot of "memory" to hold it in place so I just leaned to one side to take pressure off the webbing and would cinch it down from one side to the other.

I do have to say I really like the 2012. The top pocket held my drivers license, keys and my permit. I never had to open it again and was glad to have those items secure. This pack wears real well and I am real pleased with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools