Topic

bike packing – trailer considerations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring bike packing – trailer considerations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

So… Bryan and I decided that a two-year old and backpacking is just too cumbersome and we are going to try bikepacking. This is one of the trips we are looking at and we'd be going the 230 km as well as the return trip rather than taking a shuttle.

Le P’tit Train du Nord

Cycle the Laurentians

I have some questions…

One… my ride is a Louis Garneau Helix 20°. Will this be suitable? It's mostly rail trail I think.

We already have gear but will need a trailer or two. What brands and styles do you recommend? With or without suspension? I'm not overly concerned with price and figure I'm looking at $500 a pop if we buy new.

Kaia will be three next June… would that be old enough for a trail-a-bike or should I still be thinking along the lines of using her bike trailer?

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

So you got the Louis Garneau. Great! Now I know why Bryan was peering through the bicycle catalogues!

If the bicycle is tuned and all parts are okay, even a less expensive bike will do the job. You may want to get fat tires that you can let the pressure out of a little to cushion the ride if you don't have suspension.

Will your child be riding in the trailer? You may want to seriously think about safety when I comes to that. A trailer properly designed for a child to ride in it, including being protected from the rain will be an important consideration. Burley is famous for their child carrying trailers.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Ah.. he's looking to upgrade his full-suspension Giant… that's why the bike catalogs. I have front suspension on my L.G.

We have a very safe and well-made trailer for Kaia – so we are good there (we just need to decide whether she'll be using that or a trail-a-bike at the time). We are looking for something specifically for gear so that is why I wondered if we needed suspension or not.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Every child is different offcourse, but 3 is pretty young to ride a trail-a-bike for most kids.

They probably wont fit well on them at that age either, even if the saddle goes low enough the cranks are almost certainly too long. Then there is the mental issue: will a three yr old have the focus to keep her hands on the bar and feet on the pedals.

A trailer also allows them to fall asleep.

Charlie Murphy
    BPL Member

@baltocharlie

Locale: MAryland

Your bike is fine. I have ridden parts of this trail with an old Miyata touring bike(tires32s) I would not use a full suspension mnt bike as it is too heavy and overkill for this type of bike path. I actually feel that a race bike w/ 23's would be fine. Very nice trail with beautiful scenery and towns along the way.
    Not a fan of the trailer but if that what you have, use it. From what I have ridden, a shock is not necessary on that trail. I really like some of the "Dutch Cargo " bikes. Pricey for sure but will give the kids a comfortable place with room for gear. Plus it is easier for you to keep an eye and have conversation while you ride. Not ultralight for sure but enjoyable for the little ones. You won't win the Tour de France with it:) I wouldn't buy it for 1 trip but if cycling becomes an important part of your lives, consider it. I wish I had know about it when my kids were young. Here's a pix
    http://tinyurl.com/dynzw55

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools