Topic

winter layering-lighter R1 hoody?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) winter layering-lighter R1 hoody?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I must be bored as I've already started thinking about winter layering. Last year I wore a merino base w/ a driclime for skiing/ice climbing/hiking. This worked quite well, but I'm looking at building a system around my event shell since I like the fit for climbing & makes for a better all around alpine shell in the shoulder seasons.

What I'd like to do is wear a meco t-shirt as my base, and then have a light and fast wicking hoody as my mid. I like the R1, but I'd prefer something lighter. The ideal would be a layer thats like the dri-clime inner, except as a close fitting hoody. Anyone know if this exists?

Other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Might be heavier then you are looking for — but there is the NWAlpine Black Spider Light hoody…

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

Ive always wanted this: looks similar to the BPL Beartooth but a little warmer/more durable. I think it weighs 10oz.

http://www.altrec.com/ibex/mens-hooded-indie

That said, I have an R1 pull over. When I combine that with a thin base, and wind shirt, I am VERY warm while hiking in cold temps, so it works.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

a really light merino hoody. don't remember exactly what it was called, but it was something like kush (sp). a buddy had one and he swore by it. it didn't have as deep a chest zipper as i would have liked, but he said it was so light it didn't need it. i'm a fan of nw alpine and give a big +1 to their black spider lt hoody.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

This is only for sale seasonally (winter), but I wear the REI Merino Hoodie a lot in cooler weather. It's pretty stretchy so it's comfortable to wear all day, I can wear it with the sleeves pulled up and the hood is great. It is pretty thin weight wool and awesome as a lightweight base layer to wear on its own in warmer and under other layers in colder weather. One caveat though, it shrunk a little bit in the wash, so you might consider sizing up.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear-review-rei-merino-wool-hoodie/gear/15877

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Rab Vapour Rise Lite will be close to what you're looking for.

The NW Alpine Spider Light is a great option as well. It's like R.75 as far as warmth, IMO.

The Rab Boreas is another direction – a super light softshell, stretchy and wicking.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

"http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/Hoodies/PRD~5023-663/mec-t2-zip-hoodie-mens.jsp

51 smackaroos … made in canada …"

Can this be purchased or shipped in the US? I'd like to get one.

jim jessop

@luckyjim

I fell out with the super-geeky ninja look and too close fit of the R1 hoody, but now spend a lot of time in an R1 pullover, which I love, and I bought an R1 balaclava to go with it for when needed.

I also really like my Melanzana Micro-Grid hoody

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=58802&skip_to_post=534753#534753

which is lighter than R1, has a great hood and somehow manages to look pretty good at the same time.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

it can but shipping will cost you … so youre better off making a large mec purchase or taking a trip to canada ;)

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Eric, how does the MEC fit compared to Patagonia?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the sizing on my mec r1 copies (t3) are roughly the same as that of my patagucci cap 4 …. i wear small on both for that snug fit

Nick Brown

@ojsglove

Locale: Highland Park

You might try the Rab Alpine. It's a 9oz hoody that is basically the Vapour Rise without the lining. A little heavy but really it is a windshirt that wicks like a vapour Rise through capillary action. The hood and sleeve length are amazing. It's full zip for venting and also has large mesh pockets that can vent. Breathes well and has very good dwr. I'm 5'10" 165lbs, 49"shoulder girth. The medium fits great for layering while still being trim. As a mid layer and for taking better advantage of the wicking a small may have fit better.

Gerry Volpe

@gvolpe

Locale: Vermont

If your up for trying something different it might work. I picked up a RAB Boreas this winter on the advice of some posters here. Though we had a lame winter and I wasn't able to really put it through the paces I am happy so far. It is much more comfortable than my first ascent R1 hoody clone which was way to hot for me for during 99% of active winter pursuits. Paired with a 150 wt merino tee shirt it is enough for me moving in very cold weather and it wicks and dries well enough that it was tolerable on some warm spring ski tours which was pretty much all we got for backcountry this year.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

Some good ideas here, thanks. Forgot to mention that my base last year was a lightweight merino hoody. The merino/ether driclime combo worked wonders, so I may very well stick with that, just wish the ether fit better for climbing. I bet the rab meco Tee, MEC T2 hoody and Rab alpine jacket would be just about perfect, but not sure if I want to invest that much in the system. That vapour rise lite looks ideal too.

The normal climber solution is just to layer an R1 with a shell, but I like merino next to skin as it feels warmer when I stop, and I stink up an R1 in like half an hour. I don't like doing laundry more than I have to. Meco seems like the ultimate merino/quick dry base.

Probably the best option would be to use last years merino/ether combo for bc skiing and meco, MEC T2, Event (or rab alpine) for climbing.

Just thinking out loud.

BTW, who was thinking about ordering things from MEC? We could probably save a few bucks if we pooled an order and sent orders out domestic from there.

Also, Eric, do you like the MEC R1 copy for climbing? Are the sleeves/hem long enough to stay in place for reachy moves? Thanks!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

it works fine for me cause im not exactly tall, i just size it a bit snug … there is a hole or two after a few years but thats life …

a light stretch softshell may be a better choice if its yr only layer for multi as itll have DWR and be wind proof …. just find one cheap

in the rockies with the mec copy …

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools