Topic

Lightweight Packs, with conditions….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Packs, with conditions….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Before making a suggestion, what exactly goes in your pack? Or more importantly, what is your total pack weight? Reason I ask is that my friend recently made the mistake of buying a lightweight pack that was larger, thinking it would just fit all his gear, while his stuff was really not light at all, so he ended up with a bad situation on his hands. (He actually packed a regular down pillow from his bed! jeeze.) Don't end up with a UL pack meant for UL gear if it isn't what you want. Now, assuming you are going lightweight or lighter, would a 44L pack work for you? I recently had a few amazing hikes with the osprey talon 44. Its not the kind of UL pack people here would normally use, but you might find it great. I like its breathable back panel, the full water bottle pockets, the actually stretchy back panel pocket that works when the pack is full, and most of all, the fact that it is much closer to a minimalist pack than most other osprey packs. my load is just between 27-31 lbs with food and water, not UL, but it works beautifully in this pack. I would not break that load though, if you pack over 35 lbs do not use this pack. But I found it great where the exos failed in terms of comfort, look at the reviews about this pack, what they say about it breaking down around the frame and poking into your hips can be very true. The kestrel was also more comfortable in the straps where the atmos lost out, more supportive than true UL packs for my load, mostly because I use a neo air rather than a mat that can be used as a back pad/support in the pack, and my gear doesn't fit together that well in an unstructured pack. I also recommend the new gossamer gear 2012 gorilla pack (much more true to UL ethos, has breathable back panel, but your pad gets sweat on) and the Hyperlite Mountain gear packs (less support in some circumstances, more expensive, and no breathable back panels, but so nice!) Best of luck in pack selection, it can be a long search sometimes.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Just got a 2012 Mariposa and … wow. Hiked over ten miles around five lakes basin with a seven pound base load, food, water, and lots of canned beer for my companions. Super comfy pack. Love that its a tad under 27 oz. on my scales, but has lid and hip belt pockets, sternum strap and whistle. Feature laden. Finally something to displace my beloved and well worn vapor trail.

If your friends want something more mainstream, maybe the Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 or an Osprey Hornet series pack. They look like solid light options with some added bells and whistles.

Michelle A
    BPL Member

@mauhler31

You can also look at the MLD Exodus FS. I don't own it myself, but am considering it. There have been a couple of posts from happy users in the last month or so.

Dennis Wolfe

@lonewolfe

Locale: Salmon River Country, Idaho

Doug,

Be sure to check out the Deuter Act Zero 60+10. It is a great pack. I used it on a 10-day trip thru the Winds (mainly off-trail) carrying 35 lbs. It was amazingly comfortable.

Robin McKay
    Spectator

@rlmckay

Locale: Wanaka NZ

The Gossamer Gear Gorilla or the Zpacks Arc Blast – I have both. Just my Arc Blast – looks and feel great plus it's 380 grams Vs 780!! Also if you need slightly more volume checkout the new ULA Circuit now in Cuben fiber

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools