Topic

86 mile loop through Kings Canyon and Sequoia

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 86 mile loop through Kings Canyon and Sequoia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Started at roads end, up woods creek, south on JMT, then took junction trail down to Kern Canyon and up to colby pass, through clouds canyon, over avalanche pass, and back to roads end. Thought it would take 10 days, I was wrong. Finished in 7 days.
    All streams were low, and all 4 passes were easy. I used an ice axe on glen pass only because I carried that sucker in there and was determined to use it. Trekking poles alone would have been fine. Mosquitoes were intermittent. Rae lakes had a few, upper vidette had none, once I got up to colby pass trail there was quite a few, and cloud canyon had a decent amount.

Here's a vid. https://picasaweb.google.com/108234957944494814191/ChrisSoloSekiMovie#5761177486598278818

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

What kind of total load did you start with?

I'll be up there in a month or so.

–B.G.–

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I'm quite shamed to admit I went in with 47 lbs to start with 10 days of food and 2 liters of water.
    Yes I know, sooo dumb. I really regret it and I should have known better. It was my first solo trip, so I abandoned my normal UL thinking and brought more "in case" and "this might be nice since I'll be alone" stuff.
    I brought 2lbs of ice gear, waaaay too much food, 2lbs of scotch, too much fuel, too many batteries, too much deet, soap, etc.
    Food, scotch and the bear canister alone was over 23lbs!!!

Good news is that by the end (day 7) I was feeling stronger than I ever felt in my life. I'm lucky I'm still young enough that my body could handle it and I didn't blow out a knee or something.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

If you had it to do all over again right now, how much would your pack weigh at the start? (Surely at least ten pounds lighter.)

They say that the best lessons are learned the hard way. You learned a lot.

Aren't you glad that you came down the steep side of Avalanche Pass instead of going up?

–B.G.–

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Yep I think I would go in a solid 10 lbs lighter next time.
    And yes, climbing the steap side of Avalanche pass on day 1 would have killed me! That thing is like Lombard street. Descending it made coming down Yosemite falls feel like a walk in the park.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

2 pounds of scotch sounds about right……

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

If you switch out the Scotch and substitute high-proof liquor, you can save approximately half of the alcohol weight. You might need to juggle some flavors or get a new bartender. Besides, when you get to high elevation, the alcohol will hit you pretty hard.

–B.G.–

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Yeah I noticed the altitude did have an effect. I only drank maybe half of my scotch because of that.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Part of the problem is that alcohol will dehydrate you. You are already running into a hydration problem just from being at 10,000 or 12,000 feet. Then you make it worse with some adult beverage.

If you can use it medicinally, maybe it can be positive. For example, some people like one snort after dinner and before they go to bed. But for other people, it can be disruptive of sleep patterns.

You need to dilute it down quite a bit before the extra water will offset the alcohol dehydration problem.

You need somebody to invent freeze dried Scotch.

–B.G.–

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

How did you manage to hit Glen Pass by going up Woods Creek (to Vidette Meadow?) and head south from there???
    I assume by the milage you started the Rea Lakes Loop Clockwise.

I've done this same loop, but up to Vidette and south for 70 miles.

Did you go by Lake South America or stick to the JMT? This is such a nice are with the views and the remote locations.
    thank you for the trip report.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I think he went up Woods Creek and hit the JMT at Woods Crossing (the bridge), then went south over Glen and Forester passes.

–B.G.–

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I went up woods, headed south on the JMT, over glen, through vidette, crossed forester, stayed on the JMT all the way to Wallace creek, then headed west down into kern canyon via the junction trail, then up Colby pass trail over Colby pass, followed Cloud canyon back to roaring river station, then hiked over avalanche pass to get back.
    I didn't go to lake south America, I continued south because I wanted to see bighorn plateau instead.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I went up woods, headed south on the JMT, over glen, through vidette, crossed forester, stayed on the JMT all the way to Wallace creek, then headed west down into kern canyon via the junction trail, then up Colby pass trail over Colby pass, followed Cloud canyon back to roaring river station, then hiked over avalanche pass to get back."

A very nice route, well planned and executed. Thanks for sharing, Chris. I really enjoyed your report.

"I didn't go to lake south America, I continued south because I wanted to see bighorn plateau instead."

You couldn't lose, either way. Lake South America is what next time is for. I'm guessing this won't be your last trip down that way because, once the Kern hook is set… ;0)

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I can't wait to go back. I'm also looking at all these trips on the evolution area and that's sparking some interest as well. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools