Topic

SteriPEN Adventurer Water Purifier REVIEW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable SteriPEN Adventurer Water Purifier REVIEW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Thank you, Dondo. i'm off from work the last couple of weeks temporarily on partial disability. So, when i'm feeling up to it, i'll check in evey once in a while. My trekkin' days, however, are undoubtedly o'er – even after surgery; at least that's what i'm told.

i'm still trying to figure out what to do with my gear – much of it unused or lightly used (some heavily used, but still looks nice – i'm very OCD about keeping my gear in good shape and not abusing it). i have a lot unused simply because, when i find a piece of gear i really like, i buy another one later on before it's no longer manufactured (this has happened to me in the past), and then store it unused.

i'm open to suggestions on how to divest myself of this gear at very low prices, to others who will put them to good use (both unused and very lightly used – i can't seem to mentally part with some of my "old friends" that have served me so well even if i'll never be able to use them again).

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I'm sorry to hear that your trekkin' days are over, pj. That must be a tough adjustment.

As far as your gear is concerned, I'm sure the good people here will help you divest. :-D

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

PJ – I too missed your well researched and well written posts. What happened to cause your disability?

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

pj, sorry to hear your hiking prognosis. I hope you will be able to advise us with your wise gear research and entertain us with your dry wit for a long time to come. I was a newbie to forums, and of course this site when I started reading your posts, lo many months ago.. now people occasionally thank me for constructing a well-worded post; something I learned from you. This watering hole of gear knowledge has been just a little dry since your previous departure. Welcome back.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Hi, PJ. Welcome back! Don't totally be BPL Forum Poster Emeritus. :-)>

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Cheers! PJ — I certainly have missed your missives these past several months and am very unhappy to hear that you will be unable to continue to experience the joy of hiking and backpacking. As several others have asked: What happened. If you feel like sharing, I would certainly like to know what would sideline you of all people.

I hope you will continue to share your wisdom and insights. And I hope that you will continue to post with the dry wit and sense of humor we have come to expect from you.

And finally, maybe you should not be so quick to unload your gear. Certainly, it would find a good home with many of us, but life holds many unexpected opportunities. You may be able to hike again at some point in the future and it would be a shame to have sold off your stuff in that event.

Anyway, welcome back, 'ole friend!

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

For this product to be PERFECT, some of the things already mentioned are a must:

1. It should screw into a 28mm bottle neck. (I think the competing AquaStar Plus makes an attempt at having screw-threads.)

2. It should run on AAA batteries, as mentioned in the article. This would let one re-stock easily, if needed, and many commercial recharging options are availble for the lithium AAAs. (And, most importantly, everything else I have runs on AAAs.)

3. Someday, we will have UV LEDs, and this litte sucker will be even lighter.

As it stands, however, for the same weight in AquaMira tablets you can treat 120 liters- twice the 60 liters estimated for the SteriPEN. And whatever their other limitations, the tablets scale a lot easier.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Dean

> It should screw into a 28mm bottle neck.
    I can't say I would attach much value to this, especially given the limitations inherent in the narrow width of the bottle neck. I prefer to use a wide pot for the treatment.

> It should run on AAA batteries,
    Yeah, and it should only need one of them and that should last for the whole trip. The UV lamp used is the problem as far as power consumption is concerned. If you want to use AA batteries the Classic is your choice – but it is heavier.

> for the same weight in AquaMira tablets
    True … if you are happy with the chemicals. Some are; some aren't.

> Someday, we will have UV LEDs
    Roll on that day! Actually, they are available right now, but the price is not workable. Trust me, several companies are watching this space (UV LEDs) VERY carefully!

Cheers
    Roger

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I found that the switch on the Steripen Adventurer was so stiff that most of the time I couldn't operate it. I have received at least 7 reports from other woman backpackers who were unable to work the switch. Did you have any women test this gizmo before issuing such a glowing report?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Mary

I am intrigued by the reports of a stiff switch. The switch on my units are easy to operate. I don't think my wife used it much (doing that sort of thing is my job!), but she didn't notice anything untoward.

Cheers

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

http://www.pre-mac.com/PWP_SWP.HTM

I've used one for a couple of years now, and not got sick.
    They are cheaper, lighter, less bulky and battery free.

I believe the filter is 2um which means it pretty much strains everything nasty out. A few hours in direct sunlight will make sure, if UV is your thing.

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools