Topic

Mini Trangia remote canister stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mini Trangia remote canister stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

I have been playing around with this remote canister mini Trangia idea for a while and as it is winter here in Australia and I am about to do some alpine bushwalking/snowshoe trips, I thought I finish it of ready for some field trials.

My aim has been to make a cold weather canister stove that performs very well in windy conditions, fairly light, efficient and easy to setup and pack up.

The stove is a Kovea Supalite Ti with a pre-heat tube and a mounting plate added, the upper windshield bowl and the lower stand bowl are from two very cheap cut down 1.5 litre ally pots. The canister valve is from a cheap Chinese remote canister stove.

Though this is not the lightest setup, currently all up, with, stove/fuel line, stand, windshield, pot grabber and storage bag, it comes in at 396.4 grams (14oz), with some more development I can drop some of that weight a bit, I am hoping for around 350g (12.3oz).

I am not that concerned with weight of this stove as reliability, usability and efficiency in cold (-20C) conditions are the main criteria, the initial tests look promising, I hope to run some proper efficiency tests when I come back from a field test this weekend.

This is a one liter pot solo version, I do have a larger 2 person 1.5 liter pot version nearly finished.

Tony

Mini gas Trangia
    Assembled stove
    Top of stove
    Top of stove
    Closeup of top
    Closeup of top
    Bottom
    Bottom view with preheat tube
    All packed into pot
    All packed into pot
    Stove system packed up
    Stove system packed up
    Packed away in storage bag
    Packed away in storage bag

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I like it alot. Keyholes are excellent. I wish you well on your winter adventures. Wish I was there. 100 degree temps forecast for my area this week. Take some alcohol with as backup along with the StarLyte;-)

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Zelph,

We can have very hot +100F summers too though it was a bit brisk where I live this morning -6C (21F), I am looking forward to summer, I might have to visit the US one of our winters.

I am hoping my stove stove works well in the cold, I might take one of your stoves as a backup on the bushwalk this weekend, it would be good to see how your alcohol stoves perform at -10C (14F), I really like the Cobalt Blue stove you set me, I might take it.

Tony

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Tony,

What is it you used for the canister valve and stand?

Edit: Nevermind, I see where you explained it.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Hey Tony,

Great looking set up there! Hopefully see you up there.

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks,

I hope the stove goes well, if something does go wrong I can always put it back to an upright canister stove in a few minutes.

I am walking to Mt Kelly and Mt Scabby in the south of ACT this weekend and I will be snowshoeing Munyang to Mawsons Hut in two weekends time.

Tony

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

I like how you've attacked the factory designs to build what you want. The heat capture looks good. It would be very informative for you to measure how much fuel and time it takes to bring 1/2L up to 100 degrees.

As I think through it, why the remote cannister? I have a large Jetboil pot that uses a remote, but I thought that was because of stability issues.

I'm not sure why cannister up/down is needed – Jetboils are up, remote "stoves" are down. Is it that much more fuel is req'd? Better regulation? I do know a lot of fuel is wasted in the hose. (Well, some anyway)

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Nathan,

>It would be very informative for you to measure how much fuel and time it takes to bring 1/2L up to 100 degrees.

I am about to do some stove lab tests, I will post the results soon.

>As I think through it, why the remote cannister? I have a large Jetboil pot that uses a remote, but I thought that was because of stability issues

I'm not sure why cannister up/down is needed – Jetboils are up, remote "stoves" are down. Is it that much more fuel is req'd? Better regulation? I do know a lot of fuel is wasted in the hose. (Well, some anyway)

Remote canister stoves do not suffer from latent heat of evaporation problems like upright canister stoves and they also work at much lower temperatures, and there is almost no difference in efficiency.

I took the stove in the field on the weekend, we camped at 1530 meters (5020 feet) and it was -10C (14F) and the stove worked extremely well, at -10C it took about 30 seconds to warm up and start to work properly.

Tony

Stove in tent
    Stove boiling water in morning at -10C for cup of tea

Steam rising off srtove iat first light
    Steam rising off stove at first light

Stove in tent vestable at campsite
    Stove in tent vestibule at campsite

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools